Bridgeport Quillmaster Collets

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Bridgeport Quillmaster Collets

Post by SteveM »

I saw a good deal on a quillmaster for the Bridgeport M head, so I grabbed it.

Not like I needed to have it, but like everything else, better get while the gettin's good.

Question is, what the heck collet does it take?

The diameter for the collet body is about 0.330 diameter, the opening for the tapered end is about 0.420 and the 5/16x24 thread is fixed inside the spindle.

I looked at it and thought "how do you tighten the collet?", and then found this picture:
QuillmasterCollet.png
which shows flats on the collet, so it is tightened from the face.

The little cover is to access a hole in the spindle to hold the spindle while you tighten the collet.

Anyone know what these collets are called?

And how does it actually clamp? I don't see any split lines.

The Bridgeport catalog shows the quillmaster and under the specs, it has a space for collet number and it's blank.

Steve
NP317

Re: Bridgeport Quillmaster Collets

Post by NP317 »

Look carefully at the photo and you should see 2 split lines 180 degrees apart, parallel to the flats.
Interesting.
~RN
spro

Post by spro »

These are "Q" collets. They can be 1/8" or max 3/16" to drive the QRA attachment.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

NP317 wrote:Look carefully at the photo and you should see 2 split lines 180 degrees apart, parallel to the flats.
Interesting.
DOH - OK, I can see them now.
spro wrote:These are "Q" collets. They can be 1/8" or max 3/16" to drive the QRA attachment.
Well, google searches don't seem to find them, so it might be an interesting project once I get the mill up and running.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

These collets were expensive a few years ago. A QuillMaster attachment to an "M" head was unseen. It is obviously made to take the QRA and lower HP as the "M" / 1/2-3/4 HP is actually better than ...well can't say that.. Only that a J head with more power can eat that attachment in a bind.
I was looking at the pix where a guy took his all apart. He cleaned all the grease out, so you can really see the gears and how they made it. It is a total work, an astounding piece of engineering to this day when we think back. They run very fast and can be damaged in a minute but they did so much inside work I can't tell you.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Actually, I found some pics of the collets:

spro wrote:I was looking at the pix where a guy took his all apart.
If you have links to those pictures, please post them.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

When you're on ebay , just type 112654350124
It isn't a complete disassembly but I'd never seen a seller remove all the grease and stuff to note the condition of the individual gears and bearings.

Easier to post a link than it is to type in the numbers.

H

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridgeport-Qui ... SwXrdaFwmJ
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I like to Learn so ..... what is the quill master used for ?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

stephenc wrote:I like to Learn so ..... what is the quill master used for ?
The quillmaster accessory, and it's own accessory, the QRA are used to get into tight places.

Like this:

Although the person that approved those pictures for the catalog didn't realize that you can't get it into the position in the lower left.

Imagine trying to get that far down into a pocket - you'd need a 6" long end mill, and then you'd have to worry about flex and chatter.

You can see a lot more uses here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page2.html

I didn't need it, nor did I foresee a use for it, but I got such a screaming deal, I had to grab it.

Steve
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Thank you

I can see where that thing would be worth it's weight in gold the few times a person did need it .
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

stephenc wrote:I can see where that thing would be worth it's weight in gold the few times a person did need it .
Yea, I can see where I will end up using it maybe 3 times in my life, but that will cover the cost of buying it, I got is so cheap.

Problem is that the shop is filling up with stuff I will probably use maybe 3 times in my life!

Steve
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

I'm behind in my reading and so last night came across your collets in an article by Guy Hanson in Digital Machinist, Winter 2009, Volume 4, No. 4, Pages 29-30. Drawing and the G code to machine them on a Tormach Duality lathe in a Tormach mill!

(Appears they are the same collet for M-Head and J-Head BP Quilll Masters.)

John