Brown & Sharp N0. 1 Milling Machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Brown & Sharp N0. 1 Milling Machine

Post by spro »

Well it came to its new home intact. Congratulations. The machine appears in remarkably good condition for its age. Where to begin, unraveling this puzzle of tooling and attachments. I see many which are directly used and other arbors which need figuring. I can see a semi- universal vertical head is there and even arbor or collets for it. The way the OA is now, there was probably an independent motor driven head attached to that plate. There are parts of your dividing head or some other.
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

I didn't have much time to study it over today, right now I am storing it at the shop where I work until I make some space for it in my home shop. But, where I have it now makes it easier for me to clean it up and inspect things over a little bit. Now I need to figure out just where I am going to put it in my shop and what to power it with.
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Here is a few more pictures, I found some collets in the storage compartment. I also took the homemade bracket off the end of the ram and slid the vertical head on the ram.
Attachments
IMG_7313.JPG
IMG_7314.JPG
IMG_7315.JPG
IMG_7316.JPG
IMG_7317.JPG
spro

Post by spro »

All Right. The brass split- sleeve inside the OA mount of the head, is eccentric. You tune it to be concentric to the drive arbor. I don't see that drive arbor yet. It will be B&S #10 or close and fits inside the head with a long key slot. That way, the head and OA are shifted out as needed.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here are three photos of the vertical heads on my three mills.

Each one is more robust, and able to run at higher RPM, the last on the 1950's #2 can be run at over 3000 RPM.

DSCN2793_2.jpg
DSCN2799_2.jpg
DSCN7961_2.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for your pix and they are great to this topic! We can see M&N's vertical head of his earlier mill. I can see the transition over decades. Man they did a lot. Eye candy in a machine way.
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Does anyone have a good picture of what the original dividing head would look like and what all went with it. I have some dividing plates and change gears which I believe were part of the dividing head.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Brown & Sharpe offered a variety of dividing heads, the one they supplied with their universal mills came with a whole set of gears to allow the cuttings of spirals and other shapes.

Lots of B&S parts were offered on eBay when I did the rebuild shown below, today only B&S measuring devices appear on eBay.

I'm still looking for a #0 Slotter for that mill; kinda rare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-sfBZWdyPA
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

So I picked up this B&S Universal Dividing Head the other day, the price was right so I couldn't turn it down, I know its not the correct one for my mill but I do believe I can make it work. It came with a full set of gears also. The gears for the original dividing head had finer teeth on them and the center hole bore of the gears are 7/8 of an inch where these are 1". I think I can manufacture an adapter to bump the 7/8' shaft on the mill up to 1".
Attachments
B&S Dividing Head1.jpg
B&S Dividing Head2.jpg