Upgrade Complete...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

dorin

Upgrade Complete...

Post by dorin »

The upgrade is complete.
This gives security fixes and a few new features.
It also was major, so some user settings were lost. (Sorry)

If you want US english, you likely have to go reset it. (Sorry)
Subsilver2 is gone for this version, but there is Allan Style - Subsilver if you like subsilver. That is the closest I could find. (Sorry again)

There are likely going to be a hiccup too in the next couple days. Please be patient.

Thank you!
-Mike
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Re: Upgrade Complete...

Post by Harold_V »

Good job, Mike. The Allen Style Subsilver appears to be acceptable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The Allen Style Subsilver is quite acceptable, to the point that I didn't realize it was different.

Thanks!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Major disappointment! The text is now too small, the layout messed up and...

Why are the posters' data now on the right hand side of the screen? This change really sucks for me. I want the old screen layout back.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
GregE

Post by GregE »

Thanks for your hard work keeping this all running!
Greg Easter
dorin

Post by dorin »

If you are disappointed with the layout, please, there are a couple things to try.
One is to switch to the other installed style on the board.
If that still does not agree with you, take a peek at:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... les-12/3.2

I don't think I have time to install a style for everybody :D but if you would like to suggest a new one, we could expand the styles.

-Mike
www.chaski.com
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

dorin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm If you are disappointed with the layout, please, there are a couple things to try.
One is to switch to the other installed style on the board.
If that still does not agree with you, take a peek at:

I don't think I have time to install a style for everybody :D but if you would like to suggest a new one, we could expand the styles.

-Mike
What was wrong with the old style? I can barely read this light pastel on light pastel text, which is too small, and had to search to find the means by which one replies to a post. Everything is different, it seems, and I don't want to have to relearn the software just to use the site.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BDD,
It might help for you to switch to the Allen style subsilver (assuming you haven't done so). Like you, I don't find the default choice very user friendly. I've seen it on another board I read occasionally and have yet to get used to how it works. I just plain don't like it!

I think I know how comfortable you are with computers, so I won't try to give guidance in making the switch, but if, by chance, you're not sure how to go about giving it a try, please let me know. I've already gone through the drill, which was the first thing I did when the software was upgraded.

H

edited to add comment--While the new subsilver isn't exactly the same, it is quite acceptable. The data that used to be on the left side of the screen will still be on the right side, but I can get used to that quite easily. The rest, so far, has been almost identical to the old subsilver.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote:It might help for you to switch to the Allen style subsilver (assuming you haven't done so).
Already done.
Like you, I don't find the default choice very user friendly. I've seen it on another board I read occasionally and have yet to get used to how it works. I just plain don't like it!
It is less that I don't like it and more that I am struggling to read what's on the screen. The text is just too small and doesn't have enough contrast to the background. The icons for text editing are barely visible over the background. I had to manually insert quote tags because I can't find the icon that would do that.
While the new subsilver isn't exactly the same, it is quite acceptable. The data that used to be on the left side of the screen will still be on the right side, but I can get used to that quite easily. The rest, so far, has been almost identical to the old subsilver.
Being partially blind in the left eye, I (unsurprisingly) have more than a little trouble reading things to the left. That is why I am upset with the screen shift being what it is. This software "upgrade" has made Chaski quite unfriendly to anyone with substandard vision and I'm not sure that I can continue to participate here.

Incidentally, it appears there is a bug in the software related to quoting.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Understood! I, too, struggle, but for me it's my hearing. And it's getting worse as I age. Machinists are notorious for less than good hearing. Those with stereo systems with unreasonable horsepower (like me) suffer even more.

Mike is off for a well earned vacation, but he has offered to install other options. Perhaps you can "tough it out" until he's returned, and has an opportunity to install a couple other board options. I recall, from the past, when we had to make decisions on board styles, that there's a lot of options, although, for me, almost none of them were acceptable. That may have changed, and needs to be explored.

I've always favored subsilver2, as it presents the best options for me, a guy with little computer savvy.

Mean time, I agree--the quote does seem to have an issue---as it doesn't place the quotation marks such that they make sense. Perhaps that, too, will be explored upon Mike's return.

Thanks for your opinions.

H
dorin

Post by dorin »

I honestly don't know what was wrong with the old style. I really wanted to keep all the styles that had been previously installed.
Unfortunately only two of the three old styles were available. It was not my choice to get rid of it.
We do need to keep updating the software for support and board security.

That said, I would sincerely appreciate it if you would take a peek at other available styles. Here is the link again.

Since you are bothered by this, I would like to try and fix it or at least make experience on the board better.

There are lots of styles, but pick one that runs on 3.2.

I will try to figure out the strange
quote problem too.
Thank you,
-Mike
www.chaski.com
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Press "Ctl" on the keyboard and roll your mouse wheel to enlarge and darken the text.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!