Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Never enough time

Post by steamin10 »

I am being challenged with weakness in standing up from sitting. I had to have help to rise to standing. I am enrolled in a therapy/exercise pain relief regimen with my old doctor.

I am cooking up a storm with the leavings of Saturdays family gathering. Rose's office put in a request for a batch of stuffed cabbage rolls, that I created for lunch tomorrow. I also made some turkey noodle soup with the dry baked turkey leftovers. Dinner tonite and the rest frozen, I will make some sandwich spread for lunch tomorrow. John is coming to make a food run at the elevator, pellets and hay. (I cant drive yet).

I need to extend the drainage bridge over the new tubes in order to limit the ground squish movement for foot and tractor movement. Fencing is to be moved yet for winter setup. My LT1000 is bandaided again, but usable. The 235 diesel has a new battery (rebuilt,$35) and a new heavy O ring for the fuel bowl to stop an aggravating leak. Its all in the details as they say. An old wood shipping box was cut down to collect a dozen boxes of screws and nails. Some conduit bends were installed in the goat barn to store many lengths of pvc pipe out of the sun and weather. Upon discovery that the sun has eaten the bags for my coal pallet, they were transferred to cat litter buckets and moved inside for winter storage.. Nut and pea sized the former supplier will not carry bag coal this year. More stuff to store. Sorting and organizing is needed to conserve space. Let the putsing begin, again.

So, movement is glacial but steady. Thanks for lookin.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Christmas Eve alllows me to bang on my new -to me Dell computer to replace the failed XL running unit and heave some 4 computers to the trash with flat bed scanners and office copiers alike. We are just about all wi-fi in the office now with shared printer and less wiring for the cats to chew.. Santa even got me a new executive chair to replace the ratty one. Feels so good. . .

A recent jaunt to the hospital has interrupted my fall activities and thrown things into a time warp outside my comfort zone, but then that is the nature of progress. As my strength returns I will again engage in my daily life and motions.

I will keep on the board with any relative comments, but I will leave you with the good thoughts of the season and family.. Best wishes from my house to yours.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Best of the holiday season to you Dave, and everyone else on the board.
Nels
Founder, Hobby-Machinist.com
SB 10L Lathe in pieces, Burke #4, Van Norman #12
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well, its so cold my water froze out. By design it self righted by late morning but it reminds me of things undone this fall. I am getting older and my thoughts are way ahead of production. Everybody around here is down dealing with the new flu. Mostly like severe cough, it is very limiting and saps the ability to work in cool or cold weather. Begining December, I had a medical jaunt that is lasting into the new year, and halted all outdoor progress. I am now so far behind, I think I am ahead. thats the cruel joke that life is what happens while we make plans. So now, it is DO, or DO NOT.

Sunday we will have a warm flash of 30 and more, so we will see how this works in my favor. TTFN.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Sorry , I dont like the change to the board.
spro

Post by spro »

I hope you were able to use the "warm" snap". It wasn't nearly that cold around here but older mains and supplies froze. Furnaces ran almost continuously. I'm just glad they ran/ didn't lose power.
spro

Post by spro »

The circulator motor needs to be turned down a tad. The thermostat needs be turned down a tad but the motor still runs. I'm mot tearing out the cast radiators these days. They were hotter than I'd felt before but the boiler temps and pressure were okay. The heavy return pipes were hot baby. So that could have been adjusted better. When it is flat cold, like recently ( which isn't even close to really cold) this system could have been adjusted so that it shut off, allowing all the radiant heat to expel. That happened another winter when the house was 45f . The furnace was trying to heat up all the cold furniture and bookcases which expel their 45f and it was running hard. No way. Take it in doses to climb up. When the gas valve gets hot, it is time to shut it down,
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

FYI; frozen water. This is a result of a cold wind working the tunnel door open, where a heavy extension cord is supplying battery chargers to static vehicles hibernating in the drive way. the pump room for my service water is here with its pit at the well head and the area is heated with a small 1700 watt milkhouse heater. The littel 1/2 horse pump has a plastic sensor ine that runs the switch for the pressure tank, and is the first thing to freeze out as it has no flow and depends on the room warmth for function. Well before any damage occurs, the pump ceases to operate and the pressure loss signals a problem. Switch failures have occured in the past, as well as freeze ups, but so far the system has avoided any significant damage as long as electric heating is available. The longest outage in our area was three days as it was disrupted by a major winter storm, or was it the tornado that went through town. At any rate a generater of some wattage awaits service to get available for service again as it sits quietly aging, not run in a year. More equipment to upkeep. The largest threat is in the spring with its tornado like storms that interupt power, right when you need your sump pumps for rising tides of flash flood waters from my flat table lands. When they overwhelm the road ditch work, the water backs up over the foundation drains and lead directly into the sump pit. Without power, it quickly leads to submarine and screen door conditions. I anticipate problems this spring with a collapsed culvert the county has failed to renew, and is now silted in restricting flow, just downstream of my house. A letter campaign has received silence, so I dont know. Another15 inch plastic culvert is to be installed to gain access to an accesory lot next to mine. There are still some property issues to be settled this year, and it all means concentrated effort on my part, and I am not sure about my ability to upkeep such a bite of commitment.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Today is all about getting some long standing paperwork off my buried desk. That meant a a trip to the county vital records division, and meeting guidlines for legal documents. Yucck. Nice helpful people tho, they see train wrecks all the time, and try not to make it complex.

It is drizzly and nasty but warm. Yesterday was a mess, as we left home the expressway was shut down with a high tension wire accross all lanes of traffic, and the local power company had its hands full doing the repairs on the sagging wire. All traffic was shunted off the expressway clogging the local streets with semi's and lost travelers around the glitch. the backup was miles long to the West, and we avaoided what we could. My Ranger is dead again with battery problems, so an overnight charge will be tried as the last step before change-out. Temps will fall massively tonite so its battery games with all the tractors and yard equipment. I have about 6 chargers and tricklers that all carry batteries in the winter, not set up this year. So nature the Mother might get me.

I have a new Horror fright catalogue and ma wondering if the cross bow tubing bender is worth the money for the shoes. I can easily make everything else, and have a 20 ton ram set with air pump for good measure. I have need of making some fence gates and special parts, and that would be the ticket. I am wondering if cyclone top rail can be bent with an electrical conduit bender under a heavy foot. The other fabbing I intend to do would be easier with a cross bow bender rather than wrestling things across the floor.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The thing with bender shoes is, some are for pipe and some are for tubing. Get the ones you need. Up to 1" EMT is not bad to do by hand, although we have an 1 1/4" hand bender that is used when a bend or two, is all that is needed, from there we use a Chicago style bender up to 2"EMT. https://www.zoro.com/greenlee-mech-cond ... gIWlvD_BwE The electric or hydraulic type, are not justifiable for us, for the amount of which we do.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Patio: thanks for the link to the Greenlee listed stuff. My concept of cost for the units was way off. I have used and repaired an electric unit that threw a chain drive, and had no idea about the cost new. I also used a manual floor model that shaped bars for a roll cage in a racer I was involved in. Kind of tedious with the hunt and fit, in/out process. It looks like the Harbor Fright deal for a hunnerd bucks or so is the ticket all things considered. I cant make the shoes easily, and thats that.

Fencing top rail for cyclone is like EMT, not pipe, having thin wall. So a smooth bend without too much collapse or ovaling would be acceptable for my use. Tubing available in 21 ft length could be bent into 10 foot hoops for making panels and eliminate a lot of welding, going from 4 joints to only 2 across the bottom. Currently I am mushing the end with a 3 lb to get a better mouth for a butt joint. A gizmo is planned for the drill press to cut a real bird mouth with a hole saw on the 1 1/4 tubing. The goal here is to make some more fencing panels that can be moved by one person to fence and move areas around the property. So far, it works well with about 4 foot of 3/4 EMT staked into the ground half way and the sections slipped over the stakes to provide some stability. The small animals, goats and chickens, dont move the structure much, and foot long cable ties provide joinery between panels. Every corner provides stiffness to pushing, and a zig in long runs do the same. So If I stay with 6 and ten foot by 5 foot tall panels, they can be quite sellable when I get done with them.

In scanning the list, I made a 'hotbox' by using a pair of heat lamps over an angle iron to bake pvc tubing and pipe for humps and bends in repairing hot tubs and other shaped plumbing. A mortar pan filled with ice or even cool water sets the bends quickly, to speed up the working time. A hot box is not needed but I started with a propane torch and left scorch marks on everything, so it develops as we gain skills and attempts.

Thanks for the reply.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Steamin10, The heat box is no more than a oven type heating element off to the side. There isn't even a switch on the ones we have, ya just plug it in. They work well too. I have done my fair share of hand bending with a torch. It does takes practice to keep from burning it, and it still happens, sometimes.
The link to the bender, was just the first one that popped up when I did a search for a picture. :) We bought ours from an electrician going out of business.
So that other may understand why the distinction of pipe vs tubing matters, when it comes to bending shoes............
Pipe and conduit have a measured ID with the OD depending on the wall thickness, where as tubing has a measured OD, with the ID depending on the wall thickness.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!