The Latest Lineup at Ridge Boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Re: The Latest Lineup at Ridge Boiler

Post by Marty_Knox »

And here's the back of the truck, all loaded and ready to head to Pennsylvania.
Attachments
IMG_9222.JPG
IMG_9224.JPG
IMG_9226.JPG
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

PRR5406 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am Ditto the other's comments. Do you have an idea of the wheel arrangement for the CNJ Camelback?
T-38 4-6-0
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Stop by...not that far from WC.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Marty_Knox wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 am
BClemens wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 am Wow, that's a surprise. Seems it would be closer to 50% - if for no other reason than for small boiler efficiency's sake.
I would venture to say most live steamers don't care much about efficiency. They just want a locomotive that looks good, runs good, and sounds good.
I put a radiant superheater in through standard 3/4" flues on my Hunslet. That engine is a wet runner and the SH made it dry as a bone.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Dad was asking me how we did superheaters on the original 2" traction engine the other day. The replacement engine's boiler has 6, 9/16 flues (and 6, 1/2" tubes), it wasn't originally going to have any flues but due to an incident (tm) it ended up with them. The current plan is the same sort of idea as the 2" engine had- superheater up one flue, back down another, about 1/4" OD tube for the superheater, Feeding a single 1 1/2" by 2" or so cylinder.

It's funny when he asks me to describe stuff from 30 years ago now...

James
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

I've noticed your boilers have rolled copper tubes. Is there an up-tick in these? I recall in the past you might of said most of your tubes were welded steel.

Ted
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

wewilliams wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 pm I've noticed your boilers have rolled copper tubes. Is there an up-tick in these? I recall in the past you might of said most of your tubes were welded steel.

Ted
You mis-remember. I have done 8 all copper boilers, 16 steel boilers with steel tubes, and 287 steel boilers with copper tubes.
What I have said in the past is that I recommend steel tubes for oil burners, and that when I put steel tubes in I roll them at the front end, and roll them, seal weld them, and re-roll them at the firebox end.
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

Wow - sorry - cool numbers & info.