Super Scale Cylinder Cock Valve

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

bobrauper

Super Scale Cylinder Cock Valve

Post by bobrauper »

Hello Folks,
With the passage of Barry at Super Scale, we lost the 3 way cylinder cock valve that he produced. I'm now looking for a replacement valve to do what his valve did. I have looked at McMaster-Carr but I didn't find what I'm looking for. Barry's valve was compact and fit on the fountain just right. Does anyone know of a equivalent ( in size and end fittings) replacement? It needs to be a small valve. Thanks for taking the time to read this query.
Bob Rauperstrauch
Soot n' Cinders

Re: Super Scale Cylinder Cock Valve

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I dont know of one off the shelf, but I think one of the AMES ball valves could be modified to work like an air tool shut off valve which should work just fine for operating cylinder cocks. With the ball in the on position, drill a hole through the body into the passage of the ball. Then rotate the ball 180 degrees so that when the valve is open, the new holes dont line up. Then with the valve off, the original passage will line up with new hole in the body and the new hole in the ball will line up with one of the valve inlets thus exhausting the steam in the line to the cocks
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

you can also drill a #80 hole in the plug at the end of the steam line as a vent and use a standard valve. this will also keep the line clear of water
just a thought
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

The method that Chris has suggest is what I have used for years. If you put the drain low say in front of the pilot that becomes a low point and well drain. The SS valve has to evacuate at the turret a high point . The Cylinder drains will work a whole lot better with mine and Chris method.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
bobrauper

Post by bobrauper »

Thank-you both for your comments. I'll see what I can do with my piping.
Bob Rauperstrauch