Etched Parts for the K-4

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ebtfan

Etched Parts for the K-4

Post by ebtfan »

I have been working on some of the etched detail parts for the K-4. My etching kit was purchased from Micro Mark. In addition to the etching kit I bought developer, additional etching solution, and resist covered copper plates from Graphic Chemical and Ink. I followed a lot of Trainman's(Dave S) videos in producing the parts. In addition I learned that the etching process can be speeded up with an Edinburgh Solution where citric acid is added to the ferric chloride. Attached are a few photos of my first attempt at etching. I have completed etched plates for the tender and the Alco Power Reverse. Next is some work on conduit boxes.
Attachments
Builders Plate.jpg
Etched smokebox step.jpg
Smokebox Details.jpg
Pennsy fan

Re: Etched Parts for the K-4

Post by Pennsy fan »

Looking sharp, as the rest does! Nice job...
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Very nice work and workmanship indeed.
Say, is that a 3rd gen RX7 in the background??? w
david griner

Post by david griner »

Very nice work, Dan........................especially like the cone head rivets on the smokebox!!!
bobrauper

Post by bobrauper »

Hello Dan,
Well the cone headed rivets are indeed nice, it's the awesome dry pipe covering that caught my eye. It's a work of art! I struggled with mine and compared to yours, I was just playing in the sand. Nice, nice job.! How did you form the top portion of the flange and first downward course of the covering. I assume it splits and the cotter pinned joint...?
Bob Rauperstrauch
ebtfan

Post by ebtfan »

Thanks all for the compliments on the parts. Wolfgang - the vehicle is a 17 year old Honda S2000. Bob - The dry pipe cover you are referring to was made from two parts. The upper flange was rough cut from sheet steel, drilled. and then bent to match outer radius of the smokebox. Final outside and inside dimensions were reached with sanders(disc and drum). One end of the upper tube was formed in my milling machine with the cutting done with the same tool I used to machine the smoke box saddle. The two pieces were then tig welded together and the welds smoothed with a dremel. The upper tube is one piece made to look like two pieces per the prototype.