Dip Painting

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

johnpenn74

Dip Painting

Post by johnpenn74 »

Does anyone out there have any experience dip painting.

I work on lines at work that do this with decent results. But manually in the shop is another story.

Suggestions?

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
shild

Re: Dip Painting

Post by shild »

Sounds like it would use a lot of paint. How big of parts are you talking?
Oilcan

Post by Oilcan »

JP: If you're doing dip coat or flow-coating at work, you're probably aware of the control parameters for a decent job. When I was a service tech for powder applications, we also had a liquid dip line, and later, an e-coat line. As Shild mentions, quite a bit of paint is needed to cover the parts plus there needs to be viscosity (flow) criteria met i.e. time through a Zahn cup, plus sufficient pigmentation. Big issues for us were drip control - too thin and the paint runs off too quickly leaving very thin paint on the upper surfaces. Too much solvent left a finish that looked like thin shellac. We used butyl cellusol for the carrier (water solube - almost). If you're going to use aromatics for the solvent, there are quite a few additional issues to control. In that case, you're better off going to spray instead of dip. Pretty hard to beat a nice spray acrylic in both looks and durability. Just my 2 cents...
Editor Emeritus - Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading
Allen Mogul under construction
Electric RS3
Stationary Steam
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

The amount of paint in the pool would be a killer on anything bigger than a paint can. My brother does lots of powder coating with a regular kitchen oven from a garage sale. The results are very very good, far better than with a spray bomb.
My wheels don't slow me down