LED Shop Lighting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: LED Shop Lighting

Post by John Hasler »

Did you read the actual peer-reviewed scientific papers?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Oh, boy. Do you really want to get into a thread-killing argument that will bore everyone to death? The Internet forum trick of insisting people perform outrageously burdensome research in order to prove trivial points is pretty worn out.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have high trust for scientific studies that properly apply and follow the Scientific Method.
This provides built-in safeguards to detect and eliminate errors and biases.
Honest Scientific Method is just as happy to disprove a theory as to verify it. Either outcome leads to Truth.

Having to fund research using monies from some company with an agenda is where it can all break down.
Pure unadulterated research leads to Truths, better than most other methods. I support such research, as should any smart Government.
~RN
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

If you look, you will fin ‘scientific’ studies that say incandescent bulbs harm your health. Others, that fluorescents do the same. And....those nastly little CFL’s are on the list as bad.
Why would LED’s not get the same treatment?

My take, according to scientists, being alive is harmful to your health.
So....all with a grain of salt.

:) Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Conrad_R_Hoffman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 pm if you Google LED lights and eye damage you might get concerned.
If you google the answer you want, you always get a webpage with the proof you've asked for.
Try "flat earth proof", "xxx causes cancer" or "LED eye damage".

I'm not saying LEDs DON'T cause eye damage; I'm not claiming the earth is round either.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

NP317 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:33 am I have high trust for scientific studies that properly apply and follow the Scientific Method.
Honest Scientific Method is just as happy to disprove a theory as to verify it. Either outcome leads to Truth.
Science neither proves anything nor discovers absolute truth. The publication of a paper in a peer-reviewed journal says that the editor and the reviewers think that it is of sufficient interest and quality to be worth looking at, not that they guarantee that it is true or correct. The authors of such papers do not claim to have proven anything: just that their experiment (assuming experimental work) appears to confirm their hypothesis and therefor support their theory.
Having to fund research using monies from some company with an agenda is where it can all break down.
The work stands on its own. If the logic is faulty it will become obvious. If the data was falsified it will be discovered and the reputations of the researchers destroyed. Both these things happen, of course, as well as plain old error. Scientific fraud is more often motivated by personal motives than by bribery, though. Scientists are human. They know it, and know better than to take a single unconfirmed result as final.
Pure unadulterated research leads to Truths, better than most other methods. I support such research, as should any smart Government.
Governments have agendas. There is great danger in putting all research under the control of a single institution. Best to have diverse sources of funding. There are going to be "agendas". Better that they be diverse and competing.
~RN
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I bought my house and shop 9 years ago, it has fluorescent tubes in the basement and in the shop, have never changed a bulb or a ballast.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

John Hasler wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:44 am
NP317 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:33 am I have high trust for scientific studies that properly apply and follow the Scientific Method.
Science neither proves anything nor discovers absolute truth. The publication of a paper in a peer-reviewed journal says that the editor and the reviewers think that it is of sufficient interest and quality to be worth looking at, not that they guarantee that it is true or correct. The authors of such papers do not claim to have proven anything: just that their experiment (assuming experimental work) appears to confirm their hypothesis and therefor support their theory.
The work stands on its own. If the logic is faulty it will become obvious. If the data was falsified it will be discovered and the reputations of the researchers destroyed. Both these things happen, of course, as well as plain old error. Scientific fraud is more often motivated by personal motives than by bribery, though. Scientists are human. They know it, and know better than to take a single unconfirmed result as final.
Governments have agendas. There is great danger in putting all research under the control of a single institution. Best to have diverse sources of funding. There are going to be "agendas". Better that they be diverse and competing.
~RN
The bottom line from my perspective is: "Take everything with a grain of salt". Everyone these days seem to be "experts".
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
tinker21

Post by tinker21 »

My shop is all LED's and I love it.
Turn them on in the AM and off at 11 pm or so.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

SteveHGraham wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 pm You can't blame journalists for the 50 years we spent eating poisonous margarine and thinking it was a good idea.
There's got to be some claims coming over Trans-Fat :D
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

AllenH59 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:50 pm I bought my house and shop 9 years ago, it has fluorescent tubes in the basement and in the shop, have never changed a bulb or a ballast.

I have two lights in my shop, that came out of our kitchen when we remodeled. I improved the lighting in my 'toolroom', which was just (2) incandescents. Both are (2) bulb 4' fluorescents, and 1981 vintage.
Unsure if either has had a ballast replaced before we moved in, but not since we bought the place, and that was 19 years ago. I have replaced a couple of the tubes in that time.

Measured, one draws 90 watts, the other 89 watts.
All my other 4' (2) light fixtures, T12 & a couple T8's, draw 48 to 51 watts.
I'm guessing due to the old prehistoric non-electronic ballasts? While they are no doubt reliable, they are also inefficient, especially compared to the LED conversions I have installed @ 28 watts per fixture.
(These two are on the conversion hit-list)
I'm not a tree-hugger....but I am cheap.....er....make that....frugal....

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I love the LED lighting in my shop. I can see better than with alternative light sources.
And my monthly electric bill for my 26' x 52' shop is usually under $20, machine operation included.
:D :lol:
~RN