1.6" Columbia and Cowlitz bulkhead flatcar

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

vanisaac

1.6" Columbia and Cowlitz bulkhead flatcar

Post by vanisaac »

So today I started construction on my 1.6" scale CLC bulkhead flatcar. I am using the current blue and white color scheme, although the picture I derived the car number from has the flatcar in the old yellow livery. I chose the CLC as a tribute to my dad who worked track maintenance for the Weyerhaeuser Railroad during his summers in college.

I am purposefully building this from bulk materials instead of cast pieces, except for those parts (wheels and couplers) that need to interface with other hardware. The details are based on building from my materials rather than copying the full-sized counterpart. This will also be a powered flatcar for running as a speeder, with a simple mechanism to disengage the motors when I hook up to other units.

I have been designing and gathering materials for this flatcar for several months, and have additional access to a drill press. I am still in the process of tracking down a metal lathe in my area for milling the wheels. Pictures include a rendering of my Sketchup model and my collection of supplies all laid out on a table. Not included is the sheet metal for the bulkhead, the wood decking, any pneumatics, and a few random parts such as the brake hand lever.
Attachments
My supplies
My supplies
Van Anderson
Mt. Rainier Live Steamers
Packwood, WA
NP317

Re: 1.6" Columbia and Cowlitz bulkhead flatcar

Post by NP317 »

Van:
Sounds like an interesting project! 'Will be fun to watch it grow.

How is progress going on the new 7.5" gauge track at the Mineral, WA, location?
I hope to run my Polson Logging Co. #90 there some day.
~RN
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Unfortunately my contact was Bill Zingheim who had to pull out due to health issues. I haven't had the opportunity to reconnect with anyone else in regards to the project, so I'm just kind of running with my own thing for now. But I'm going to try to get in with the scenic railroad and get connected through them, seeing as I'm more a local than most others involved.
Van Anderson
Packwood, WA
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for the info. And I'm sorry to hear that Bill Z is having health challenges.

I was the first Locomotive Engineer at the Mt. Rainier Scenic RR, 1980 - 82. Jack Anderson, later to be the General Manager, was my fireman those first years. May he rest in peace.
It was quite an adventure starting up that operation and rebuilding the #91 Heisler and #10 Climax locos.
Never worked harder in my life, or had so much satisfaction.
~RN
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

You know, I grew up in Packwood, and I've ridden trains across the country, in Europe, and I even make a point of riding subways when I'm in a city with one - I've never ridden the train from Elbe to Mineral.
Van Anderson
Packwood, WA
NP317

Post by NP317 »

No time like the present to go take the ride.
14 miles meandering through the forests and across several rivers and creeks, with 3.5% grades; a fun ride and challenging for the Engineer.
~RN