Baldwin S12, what are these?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Baldwin S12, what are these?

Post by rkcarguy »

I'm trying to figure out what the 2 "things" are, on the upper corners of the front of the Baldwin S12, above the grille. This was the best picture I could find as they are hard to see on the Baldwin Locomotive Company S12 that is on display.
Looks like some sort of plugs with caps, and clips for a grille canvas for cold weather running?
Attachments
usn65-00391_s12_600x407.jpg
rkcarguy

Re: Baldwin S12, what are these?

Post by rkcarguy »

The plugs, or round things, appear on the cab too, at the edges of the cab between the upper and lower windows.
sp2110_0001.jpg
slsf1060

Post by slsf1060 »

I believe the rectangle one is the class light bracket and the round item is the electrical plug for same.
Darren McNeely

and the sons of Pullman Porters, and the sons of engineers,
ride their father's magic carpets made of steel.

www.swlsonline.org
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

slsf1060 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:24 pm I believe the rectangle one is the class light bracket and the round item is the electrical plug for same.
That's right - the Baldwin DS-4-4-750 (of which I've crawled all over) have the same setup.

Britt Bettell
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Ok great thank you. It's interesting I've never seen a picture of an S12 with any of the lights in place. I'll use something that fits the bill for looks for the brackets and plugs and call it a day.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The round items in question are a standard Pyle National electrical fitting that allowed weather tight conditions when the class/marker lamps were not plugged in. The round door of about 2 inches in diameter is spring loaded.

The same standard fittings are also seen on many other locomotives from the 1940-1950 era. They were also used by Lima on the GS steamers of the SP. Found on both the front of the locomotive below the pilot deck on either side of the air cooling grill work and on the back of the tenders.

A nice little detail few notice and seldom modeled. One reason is the small size makes for some delicate model work. With the rapid prototype process, what used to be a challenge could be readily produced if someone with the computer skills steps to the plate. It might make a good investment as many models are out there which could be upgraded in detail for a small cost if the parts were to be offered.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Thank you for the info. I was noticing it was missing from my HO scale "prototype" as well as most S12 models out there. In my scale, there's no reason not to include them somehow. That is going to be about 3/8" round in my scale, I'll see if I can come up with something. Maybe a short chunk of aluminum pipe I'll put a screw thru, then cover it with a small plastic pipe cap I'll carve on a little to make it look like that cover.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

So I found a very interesting product. These are outdoor weather resistant metal sprung protectors for 1/4" power/audio jacks.

https://www.alliedelec.com/switchcraft-515x/70214273/

These could very well work for the electrical fittings it I want to pursue real working class lamps.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Dang they are a bit big though, about 1" tall, mounted like they should be on the S12. I'll keep looking.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

https://www.alliedelec.com/switchcraft-2c1072/70214252/

These look better. A little over 1/2' round, when scale would be about 3/8" for me. Might go for these!
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Have you looked at little oil cups with spring loaded covers? I believe McMaster Carr carries them.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Good thought! I just ordered screws from McMaster yesterday and has to pay $6 shipping for a $10 bag of screws, but couldn't think of anything else I needed ugh. I'll have a look. I was looking into the electrical ones though, because I was thinking I'd actually power the socket but I'm not sure I'd ever get around to making or actually using the class lights.