Oil Firing 3/4" Scale

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: Oil Firing 3/4" Scale

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello RM again,
It took me some time to check this conversation of 2012 regarding my type of oil burner and fix it up for posting :roll: .
Guess, all questions are asked and answered by that conversation :wink: ? Just one hint regarding the drawing of the burner: Steam inlet is the upper (smaller) connection towards the central bore. The oil inlet is connected to the outer channal.
Please feel free to copy this type by your own. In case you are successful or can improve this type :idea: , please let me know, thank you!

Asteamhead
Attachments
Oil burner WDH 2 red.png
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Harold: Every time all but the last file are extinguished. What can I do?
Asteamhead
Attachments
Ol burner drawing WDH red.jpg
Oil burner WDDH 1 red.png
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

This happens when watching the preview bevore posting.
Asteamhead
JDmonty

Post by JDmonty »

A link to a video of my C.P. Huntington showing the oil burner in action on a dyno stand. Link to my facebook page, hopefully it works.

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.monty.3 ... _video_tab

The firebox on this engine in 5"x4". Small even for 3/4 inch. A 3/4 inch 0-4-0 Frodo built by my son is actually a lot larger at the grate.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Asteamhead wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 pm Harold: Every time all but the last file are extinguished. What can I do?
Asteamhead
I have reported the problem. With luck, there's a solution.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Guys,

i can tell you that the burner of Asteamhead will work welll without any problems. The construction of him works on several locos on different gauges consistonly.
If u will build it all your problems are gone.

All the best and happy burning
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Asteamhead wrote:Hello RM,
Done already some 40 years ago and still working! You're right, petroleum will burn a bit better than diesel fuel does. Standard light oil for use with heatings for homes will do, too.
Published back in 1/1991 in "dampfmodel" you'll find a drawing. First built into my Modell of DB class 44 fuel, 5 " gauge this worked out fine. No dripping, smokeless and adjustable from 15 % to full.
I offered the complete information to the forum some time ago. But there was little response yet.
Thus please see some fotos here.
Good luck!
Asteamhead

Thanks for this! I forgot about this clever burner idea so I appreciate you reposting the drawings and info. The adjustment of the outer cone is what controls the oil flow correct? The fan/pattern will change as well but it looks like this seals off the oil delivery if it’s all the way down tight on the threads?

-RM
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

JDmonty wrote:A link to a video of my C.P. Huntington showing the oil burner in action on a dyno stand. Link to my facebook page, hopefully it works.

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.monty.3 ... _video_tab

The firebox on this engine in 5"x4". Small even for 3/4 inch. A 3/4 inch 0-4-0 Frodo built by my son is actually a lot larger at the grate.

Hey Joe,

I don’t think we can view that video due to privacy settings on Facebook. I sent you a friend request which should solve that issue for me but you should be able to adjust the settings to “public” on that video fairly easily. I look forward to checking it out.

Thanks,

Robert M.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello RM,
you're right with both of your thaughts! For the cone will not shut off the fuel safely, there is a main valve at the tender, too.
That throttle cone directly at the nozzle is one of the differences to most of other types of burners. This allows to fire different fuels at a wide range of both power and preasure with no or a minumum of spilling or smoke.

Harold: Thanks!

Asteamhead
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Asteamhead wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 am Harold: Thanks!
You're quite welcome. And thanks for the report of the problem, which brought it to our attention. Mike has made the required adjustment, so the board should now accept your pictures.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.