LED Shop Lighting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: LED Shop Lighting

Post by NP317 »

seal killer wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 am All--

I cannot find LED tube lighting fixtures--those that come with the LED tubes permanently mounted--without a pigtail and 110v male plug. That means I would have to install a 110v outlet for each 8' fixture. I have an electrician friend that did exactly that. But, not being able to easily daisy chain those fixtures somehow bothers me. I will have three rows of four 8' fixtures in the garage. That means 12 outlets. If they are all dual outlets, that would also provide an additional 12 outlets up there for whatever. Not too handy, but maybe I could use them.

--Bill
The newer (2017>) COSTCO Feit 4' LED twin tube fixtures can be daisy-chained (5-ft long cord), and cost <$30. I just checked the two new spares I have to verify this.
I don't know the max number that can be chained together, but it is limited. At least 4, though.

Amazon has them too, but they're more expensive than COSTCO:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWIFY36/re ... 5448228312.

~RN
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

wlw-19958 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:31 pm Hi There,

How does this fit into spectroscopy (that is, the
analysis of an unknown compound through the
spectrum of the electromagnetic radiation of
the different wavelengths emitted when the
unknown is heated to the point they emit light)?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
It's only that simple for gasses. The atoms get so hot that they lose their outer electons entirely in collisions. Then they get the electron back and emit a photon. The metals we are talking about aren't that hot. They glow because random thermal motion is accelerating the free electrons in random directions at random rates and electrons emit electromagnetic radiation when accelerated. However, the surface properties are such that some wavelengths are favored over others, depending on the metal. The hotter the metal gets the less this matters.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
John Hasler wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:47 pm It's only that simple for gasses. The atoms get so hot that they lose their outer electons entirely in collisions. Then they get the electron back and emit a photon. The metals we are talking about aren't that hot. They glow because random thermal motion is accelerating the free electrons in random directions at random rates and electrons emit electromagnetic radiation when accelerated. However, the surface properties are such that some wavelengths are favored over others, depending on the metal. The hotter the metal gets the less this matters.
That may well be but metals can be raised to a temp where
they emit EM radiation that is unique to the compounds contain
within.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I forgot to mention something in my previous post . . .

Over a long period of time, 20+ years in my case, the white reflective interior and plastic lenses of typical 2x4 fluorescent fixtures become dirty, most of which is (I assume) carbon from the bulb and ballast emissions. While I had everything taken apart I decided to clean as much of the deposits off as I could using various household cleaners. Virtually all of it came off and with only four fixtures to clean this added very little time and effort to the job.

I was astounded, first by the amount of dirt which was present and went unnoticed, especially on the lenses, but then by how much more light was reflected and transmitted. I reckon the amount of light was increased 15% by simply cleaning the fixtures. Well worth the time spent IMHO.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Bill my lights came with a cord to connect to the box, a pigtail to daisy chain it to the next and a connector to do the same. Mine were put up with the little connector. I have 4 lights in each row. Each row is 20' long and if I wanted I could have put a 5th light in the chain if I had the room. The cord would let you zig zag them or make a 90 degree turn at a corner. The limit with these lights is 200 watts total in a chain. If you need a longer connection wire order it when you get the lights. They are an extra buck or two each and they have lengths to a metre long, perhaps more, can't remember.

Pete
IMG_3607.jpg
IMG_3608.jpg
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I know this is an old topic, but I thought I'd add something anyway.
I got a flyer from Harbor Freight a couple of weeks ago with a coupon for LED shop lights with single bulb and capable of 5000 lumens. This is brighter than the double bulb Costco fixtures, so I bought 3 at $20 each. The are not daisy-chainable. I tried to take a picture but the F-stop on the phone camera doesn't pucker up tight enough to see anything but the bulb. They are really bright.
Just thought I'd pass this along.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Steve wrote: "Today I learned that there is something called a "disappearing filament pyrometer." I haven't looked it up, but from the name, I think we can guess how that works."

This what the foundry used with the pyrometer for measuring metel temps. If you were lucky, you might get 3 measurements with it and the the filament would disappear.

Jim B
Attachments
Heraeus-Electro-Nite-Positherm-diagram.png
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I bought a case of tubes and sockets from 1000bulbs.com and made my own fixtures. About $5.00 each.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Mr. Hasler: For those of us who are EI (electrical incompetent) would you be willing to fill us in on the exact details of your build. $5 per sounds a heckuva lot better than $20 per.
Thanks.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I purchased some Barrina 4' T5 strip lights, 6500K, from Amazon for under $40.00 in a pack of 6. Very bright. I ordered more. They also have T8, 8' LED replacements for fluorescent fixtures for less than $100 for a pack of 12.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

A case of 120VAC direct-connect tubes and a case of sockets from 1000bulbs.com. A roll of aluminum flashing. 1X2 lumber. Woodscrews. Crimp connectors. Salvaged cordsets (or cord and plugs from the hardware store). Regular staples and Romex staples.

Cut the lumber to length, drill or slot one end for socket pigtails (The lamps are powered from one end: the other end is electrically dead and serves only as a mechanical support.) Cut the flashing to length, notch for the sockets, bend into a U as a reflector. Install the sockets, connect the hot end one to the cord, staple down the cord with the Romex staples. Staple on the reflector. Install the lamp. Hang it however you see fit.

Lamps have gone up since I bought. Looks like $7.00 would be more realisitc now.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 pm I purchased some Barrina 4' T5 strip lights, 6500K, from Amazon for under $40.00 in a pack of 6. Very bright. I ordered more. They also have T8, 8' LED replacements for fluorescent fixtures for less than $100 for a pack of 12.
That's a better deal than my shop-made ones.