It's been a long, long, long time!!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jose Rivera

It's been a long, long, long time!!

Post by Jose Rivera »

Hi folks!
Gosh, it's been years since I visited and posted in this board.
Time flies, I will be turning 73 next April 10, they don't stop!
Is OK, I am craving for seeing the machine shops in heaven.
I have not done much machining since I had to take care of my two granddaughters.
They were four and seven when my daughter passed in May 4th. of 2011. A year and two months after my wife passed of breast cancer.
Talk about a one-two-punch!.
So, my shop is abandoned, dusty, and with spider webs. The garage full of things like most American garages.
At times I think about selling at least part of it. My eldest son keeps pushing me, concerned about having to excess everything not knowing how much the tooling cost.
My girls are now 12 and almost 11. If I don't get started again, I never will.
The Internet and Face book keeps me very busy enjoying my pro Donald Trump wall. You can find my wall under Jose A. Rivera in Facebook.
My homemade CNC mill mill died. Not knowing about the electronics, I tried to change the controller card (courageous) With no success.
If I decide to continue, I will be needing it or another one small enough for table-top.
I would love to get back at finishing my steam engine and make more miniature black powder canons. Surely it will keep me away from Facebook, at least for some time during the day.

Wow! Is nice to start typing again here, I will try to visit more often.

Old fart Jose.
Attachments
Six pounder black powder canon.
Six pounder black powder canon.
DSCF5405.JPG
DSCF5408.JPG
DSCF5427.JPG
DSCF5430.JPG
DSCF6445.JPG
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Dave_C

Re: It's been a long, long, long time!!

Post by Dave_C »

Jose:

Good to see you back! Like you, I took some years away as well and did some traveling in the RV. I've since sold the RV and started on a Centroid Acorn Mill conversion. I just about have it done, just waiting on some back ordered parts to show up so I can finish the Z axis and the spindle encoder.

I'm not sure what I am planing on making but you know how it goes. If you have the machine, parts will need to be made.

I'm just happy to be healthy enough to still make some, LOL

Welcome back,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

I too am delighted to hear from you! I wondered where you'd gone. Seems like you've had your share of troubles for a while, maybe things are looking up. I like the cannons! -- The detail is wonderful, but so small I'd have to use a microscope to attempt something like that. Very nice work.
Gordon
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for reconnecting with us, Jose. I'm really impressed with the details of your work.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Welcome back Jose ,good to see you again. wonderful workmanship on your cannons !!
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Each individual spoke and tenon end cut to fit the wooden rim and then banded with steel. Notice all the accessories and miniature rope. Very cool. I already know that more machining was done. It all fits together.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Sir Jose;
We have never crossed paths, but Welcome Back to this Board.
I wish to express my Social Gratitude for choosing to take over the care of your two Grand Daughters.
Most Honorable, and a path not always chosen.
Respectfully,
~RussN
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Those are gorgeous.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice to see you back on the board, Jose. I'd like to think time spent here is more rewarding than when spent on other venues. I guess that's why I stay here.

Those model cannons are exceptional. If you have prints, or can reference a source for them, I'd be grateful.

You really should be putting your talent to work on more models.

Stay in touch!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Welcome back Jose. I have followed your past posts with interest. I hope to read more in the future. Bringing up two grand daughters can't be easy, but I think you are doing a good job. I think you have conservative values, necessary in this wicked world if children are to grow up to become responsible citizens in our society. Your girls are approaching that age where they think they know everything. That will give you lots of worry. I've been there and at 83, I thank God that my children and now their children have become wonderful human beings, thanks to the hard work and role models played by myself and my wife.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

I am overwhelmed to see how many of you still remember me.
Thanks you all for the warm words, it warms me up and thankful of having so many good friends.

I will try to stay and spend more time here instead of Facebook.

Thank you all!!
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Your cannon's are incredible Jose, as are all of your projects.

It's good to see your exceptional craftsmanship popping up here again!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!