Gage Block Care & Feeding

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: Gage Block Care & Feeding

Post by pete »

I'd expect my Mit gage blocks would have been made from a very high grade of steel and thermally stabilised just as you mentioned Harold. But I'd only run across odd bits here and there that sort of hinted at them possibly changing in dimension in the last few years. I'm subscribed to Mitutoyos Youtube channel so finally got a chance to ask them directly. For my use having my gage blocks calibrated even once wouldn't really be cost effective.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Mine (Starrett) get annual calibration and it's interesting to compare the results. I've had a couple go out of spec.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

All about gauge blocks from the people who define them:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ww ... S8gcOiriHJ
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

GlennW wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:35 am Mine (Starrett) get annual calibration and it's interesting to compare the results. I've had a couple go out of spec.
When I was sub-contracting for Univac (my previous employer, who, then, was known as Sperry Utah Engineering Laboratories), they offered a free calibration of my gauge blocks (Webber ± .000002" quality). One of them had changed .000050", rendering it useless for all practical purposes.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
asallwey

Post by asallwey »

Ok, I just gotta ask. What would be cost of calibration? Just a close ballpark would be good.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It would be cheaper to just buy a new 81 piece set of Chinese gauge blocks every year.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I expect that Glenn said would be true, assuming the certification that accompanied the blocks was acceptable.

I have no clue what the cost is, but you can be damned sure it isn't cheap. Far beyond the needs of the average home shop, though.
In my case, the one block that was out of tolerance was relatively large (I do not recall the size), and in spite of the huge error, it was still out only half a tenth, which is generally much smaller than the vast majority of machinists can reliably measure. Meaning that if you have a set of blocks and treat them well, they most likely will be "close enough" for most anything the home shop would ever encounter. Note that the moment you work for industry, where QC is a requirement, that most likely would no longer be true.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I just looked it up and the lab that does mine charges $170.00 for a 85 piece set.

Micrometers are $25.00 each to certify.
Glenn

asallwey

Post by asallwey »

Thanks Glen.
If a block is out, like in Harold's case, I guess there is nothing that can be done other than to either use it as is or get another. But in the case of a mic, will they adjust it for that price or is there an additional fee (assuming no parts need replacement)?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

They will adjust it, if that is all that is needed. They will not repair it if it needs other than adjusting.
Glenn

Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have been thinking about getting a cheap set of Chinese blocks, but how good are they. I usually work only to ± .001". Are they good enough for that?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

By miles (so to speak).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper