Hobbyist Hardness scale

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Hobbyist Hardness scale

Post by Harold_V »

Here in Western Washington pressure treated hemlock is available. Hard to explain, but I used some 4 x 4 for the corners of the large overhead door openings for my shop (it's built with leave-in-place foam/cement block). Now that they have aged, driving a nail in those 4 X 4's borders on the impossible. Drilling an undersized hole is pretty much a requirement.

Mauro---my head was hard when I was born, but it has been successfully treated by age, to the point where it would chip a dog's tooth just to bark at it.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Such is the education. It prevents you from being a standard wood hack capenteer and more toward a cabinet craftsman. I was a journeyaman, that meant I carried the small pry bar.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

my head was hard when I was born, but it has been successfully treated by age, to the point where it would chip a dog's tooth just to bark at it.
On the subject of hard heads... some people call it stubbornness, some people call it determination and other call it "I know what I am doing, watch and learn".
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
TomB

Post by TomB »

neanderman wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:39 am "Harder than 100 year-old Douglas fir."

Working on my house -- ever try driving a nail in it?
I lived in a house like that but I was always told the nail proof rafters and studs were Eastern Hemlock. Maybe the phrase should be "Harder than age dried Hemlock."
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

TomB wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:13 pmMaybe the phrase should be "Harder than age dried Hemlock."
:lol:
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

How about "harder than trying to get rid of the #$*@@! popup that claims to be MS support and your computer is infected, etc, etc".
Does one of you computer gurus have a solution? Happily never happens on this forum.

When we built my Uncle's Barn from fresh cut oak, we dipped each nail in a container of grease. It was the only thing that allowed us to drive nails in w/o bending them.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

My grandfather swore by beeswax, for nails and screws, both.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

From Earlgo:
How about "harder than trying to get rid of the #$*@@! popup that claims to be MS support and your computer is infected, etc, etc".
Does one of you computer gurus have a solution? Happily never happens on this forum.
These happen to me when I am in my AT&T mail system. These are not viruses, they are coming in disguised as adds! They disguise their adds to the mail provider so they allow them to run up and until someone figures out what they are doing. At that point, they change their name and IP address and go right back at it again.

Most of these are scammers trying to get you to call them so they can fish out the information they need to steal your identity. One of the big ones right now is "IMPORTANT INFORMATION" and it takes up your whole screen and tries to make you think you are infected. They control your screen through Java Script. You can close it out if you know how but they are trying to make it impossible to close. Sometimes it takes closing the browser down and sometimes I've had to power down the computer. It has never caused any harm and it never shows up when I ran any of my virus or anti-malware scan tools.

It is just a pain to deal with but no real harm unless you call them. You will only get these on site that allow adds and thankfully this site does not allow adds!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Dave, thanks for the info. My son said the same thing, but I needed a second source to verify. I, too, ran McAfee virus scan, and Housecall virus scan and neither showed any infection. It sure is annoying to have it pop up when trying to search for something. Sometimes the only thing that will stop it is to go to Task Manager and kill the MS Edge application. Sure screws up my thought process.
Thanks again.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Dave_C wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:36 am From Earlgo:
Having come from an industry where computers were extensively used I'm use to having a 'System Administrator' that can come to my office and fix these problems. They were actually a whole department in the IS organization. Typically they started out poor quality but grew over a few months into very valuable employees. Is there a company that can provide similar services for a fee to home computer users? I expect most home computers don't need much support, if somebody only uses the machine to go on Facebook to see their grandkids for fee support is probably not needed. But if your trying to write books, run CAD/CAM software, have costly architectural SW installed and want to follow a half dozen forums then I think you probably do need expert Systems Administration support. I do, but so far I've been unable to find a source for it. Has anyone found a company that will take a fee then try to provide actual service for that fee?
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Has anyone found a company that will take a fee then try to provide actual service for that fee?
This can turn into a real can of worms! There are companies out there, usually local, that can do this sort of support. Some actually know what they are doing and some just think they know and are able to con people who know even less about computers. (Usually charging large fees)

Those who can actually provide this kind of service are in demand by IT departments and can draw substantial salaries!

So buyer beware!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I think we should concede victory to PACRAT and "woodpecker lips" and move on.
Your prize of lawn fertilizer to be delivered by the roaming pruning and fertilizing crew. They will be there as soon as their schedule clears.
RP&F crew
RP&F crew
:lol:
--earlgo