Eccentric Engineer Announcement - Small Scale Injectors in stock!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

Re: Eccentric Engineer Announcement - Small Scale Injectors in stock!

Post by DianneB »

I just ordered a 1/4" with much trepidation - never had much luck with scale injectors but will give Anthony a chance ;)
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

DianneB

I have been using injectors as the primary water supply source since I came into this hobby in the late 70's. I have had them on 3/4, 1 1/2, a 14", 1/4 scale traction engine and am now installing one of these on a 2" scale Case. Here is my recipe for success. The feed line from the dome needs to have some kind of quick acting valve for best operation or spin it open fast. I have not noticed a difference in wrapped or unwrapped feed line. The water supply line needs a good filter, kept clean. Over size the filter so there is no drag on the water flow. Do not just put a screen over the end of the pipe, in most cases my filter is about 1" long and 1/2" diameter minimum. The delivery line has to have as few bends as possible, make them flow ie 45 degree max. You need a real good free flowing check valve. If you have a shut off at the boiler again as free flowing as possible. Sounds complicated but it is just nice neat plumbing. Before the first run each year and if the engine has been sitting awhile, I disconnect the feed line and blow it out when steamed up. Much like the blow down before running. That way any junk in the line should clear out.

If you ever get some thing stuck inside the cones do not use metal to clear it out. I have been using peg wood (tough stuff)sharpened and it works great. You can get it at timesavers.com and use the 2.0mm or 2.5 mm size. ( for some reason I cannot paste the link in). I purchased a bundle in the late 70's and still have a couple of sticks.

Good news bad news. I have not found a 1/4" quick acting valve, have not looked too hard yet. I may just use 5/16 check and shut off valve to get nice flow on delivery or just make my own on all, time will tell. It is too late for me to put this on for the upcoming season. I need to strip the Case down to its copper shell and add a bushing, as well as a Steam Dome take off. This will involve removing the engine from the boiler mounts - big job, will need all winter.

What are you putting it on?

Good Luck

Bob
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

piedmontg wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pm ( for some reason I cannot paste the link in).
Don't use a button. Simply copy and paste. There's no reason why that shouldn't work. If that's what you've tried and it failed, please let us know so the problem can be addressed.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

Harold

I have not had trouble pasting before. As you can see it worked fine today. All I do is copy it from the link in the browser, and paste. Yesterday was just the magic gremlins at work. I pasted that same link in a PM about a week ago.

https://timesavers.com/i-24050835-10-pa ... meter.html

Bob
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks. Good to see you had success. I like to know the board is working properly. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Anthony,
I just received the injector-BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the prompt service, I can't wait to install it
John
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I have had a life-long involvement in full-size steam and ventured into scale steam about 20 years ago. Injectors in any scale can be finicky beasts but particularly so in model sizes. I have attempted to use numerous model scale injectors over the years but without any success...... up until recently.

I have a 1-1/2" scale Little Engines American built in 1962 that has been with me since 2012 and I have done extensive repair and restoration on the locomotive over the years and recently wished, with considerable trepidation, to add an injector. Based on good reviews, I chose to purchase a 1/4" Eccentric Engineer injector. In the process of adding the injector and getting it working, I learned a few lessons (most of which others have already mentioned)!

Tip #1 Use a dedicated feed-water line

I started with a feed-water line that was shared with mechanical pumps and found tiny bubbles in the water stream to the injector. Air leaks into the feed-water line of an injector are absolute death!

Tip #2 Use a filter in the feed-water line

Scale injectors incorporate TINY passages and the smallest particles of debris will render the injector inoperative! I used an automotive fuel filter under the tender.

Tip #3 Use a quality valve in the feed-water line

Control of the water flow is important for small injectors so the feed-water valve should have a good range of adjustment. The stem seal of the valve must also be well packed and absolutely air tight.

Tip #4 Blow out the feed-water line and the steam line with live steam before installing the injector

Compressed air is not sufficient! Any debris from the plumbing installation must be cleared before installing the injector. The temperature and density of steam will dislodge tiny particles that are not cleared my compressed air.

Tip #5 Tolerate NO restrictions in any of the lines

A free flow of feed-water, steam, and delivery water are important to the proper and efficient functioning of any injector.

Tip #6 Test all lines and tolerate NO leaks!

This is just good practice normally but critical in the feed-water line.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I had some (unrelated) problems last week on the year's first run but had the LE American out today for a good run and all I can say about the EE 1/4" injector is WOW! That is one phenomenal little injector!!!

It delivers water 3x 4x faster than the American can use it but it sure beats topping up with the hand pump! Once I had the setting for the water valve (120 degrees open) at running pressure, a 1/4 turn of the steam valve and it snapped up almost instantly every time and never leaked a drop. It was convenient as well since, with steam off, as it only dripped very slowly from the overflow, I just left the water valve set. On each downhill, 1/4 turn of the steam valve would replenish the water. I did have to push my fire a little harder to make up for the injector steam but, in the end ....

I am damned impressed (and I am not easy to impress!)

Well done Anthony! :mrgreen:
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

Anthony,

Received the small injector today, quick delivery and looks GREAT!

John
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Anthony,
Received your small injector some weeks ago. The German customs had to be paid, but no problems!
Now I mounted it to a medium size stationary boiler as main feedwater supply (photo).

It works as promised and intended :D :
- succing water from about two feet below,
- no dripping / water inlet slightly choked,
- starting and restarting :D from about 30 psi up to > 120 psi (which is the boiler limit of 8 bar)!

By the way it worked very well without a strainer inline with the steam inlet for some time. I disassembled the water cone with care and found some dirt inside - my fault :roll: . By means of a soft thin copper wire :idea: and some winegar cleaning was sucessful. Now with a strainer inline it works flawless again.
One question: I installed the injector horizontally to insure optimal working of the overflow check(ball). Right? :?:

Congratulation for your excellent craftsmanship!
Attachments
EE-injector feeding a medium size stationary boiler.<br />Inside diameters of steam and water tubes are 4 mm.
EE-injector feeding a medium size stationary boiler.
Inside diameters of steam and water tubes are 4 mm.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Very interesting horizontal installation. Does it matter in what orientation the injector is installed?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
JTolan

Post by JTolan »

I believe the injectors will work in any orientation, although ive never seen one mounted with the overflow on top!