RANT THREAD?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: RANT THREAD?

Post by SteveHGraham »

NP317 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pmAre you sure they aren't actually 7mm screws?
~RN
I'll tell you after I get the Imodium open. It went under the couch.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BClemens wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:59 am Harold, You must be a RAP music fan. Detesting country music may be an indication that you don't like music at all. But then, you really didn't mean that.

BC
Chuckle!
Well, for starters, if there's anything I like less than country, it's RAP.
In regards to what individuals like---it has been my experience that those who proclaim that they like all kinds of music, what they're really saying is that they don't particularly like any kind of music.

You're right! I am NOT saying I don't like music. I have an extensive collection of albums, primarily (West Coast) jazz, laced with a large assortment of classical, with the baroque my favorite. I like music to the point where I designed and built my house around my sound system.

For the record, I grew up with rock. Started listening to music as a very young boy---loved the big band stuff (and still do). However, Bill Haley and the Comets started a revolution in music, and I was very much a part of that revolution. I still enjoy listening to that stuff, but sparingly. I'd much rather spend my time listening to Brubeck, who is my all time favorite.

H

Edit:
Who doesn't enjoy Eddie Arnold's Cattle Call, or pretty much anything performed by the Sons of the Pioneers?
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 am So what about polka? Or yodeling?
We own several Frankie Yankovic CD's and albums (I still operate a turn table)!

Yodeling? Not so much.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

If you don't like Mere Haggard and Patsy Cline, I'm afraid I must cut off diplomatic relations.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Harold_V wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 pm
BClemens wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:59 am Harold, You must be a RAP music fan. Detesting country music may be an indication that you don't like music at all. But then, you really didn't mean that.

BC
Chuckle!
Well, for starters, if there's anything I like less than country, it's RAP.
In regards to what individuals like---it has been my experience that those who proclaim that they like all kinds of music, what they're really saying is that they don't particularly like any kind of music.

You're right! I am NOT saying I don't like music. I have an extensive collection of albums, primarily (West Coast) jazz, laced with a large assortment of classical, with the baroque my favorite. I like music to the point where I designed and built my house around my sound system.

For the record, I grew up with rock. Started listening to music as a very young boy---loved the big band stuff (and still do). However, Bill Haley and the Comets started a revolution in music, and I was very much a part of that revolution. I still enjoy listening to that stuff, but sparingly. I'd much rather spend my time listening to Brubeck, who is my all time favorite.

H

Edit:
Who doesn't enjoy Eddie Arnold's Cattle Call, or pretty much anything performed by the Sons of the Pioneers?
I play the saxophone and have for way too many years. Boots Randolph who played tenor (Yackety Sax) was one I used to emulate and I was told by some smart azz that I needed to be standing in a barn yard to play his music. 'Take Five' is one of those all time classic tunes too and I go all the way back to Jimmy Dorcey on an alto - "So Rare' - now that was talent! There is nothing like playing along with Wynonna Judd - 'Tell Me Why' or 'No One Else On Earth'. I don't like any particular type of music.... I like to hear Erroll Garner groan while he plays the piano, Dudley Moore did it too.

Now I'm going to get off and back to Dianne's OP.... Go Dianne!
lrdg2150

Post by lrdg2150 »

OK here's my rant. What the #### does any of this have to do with Live Steam. OK end rant.

ME
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

lrdg2150 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 am OK here's my rant. What the #### does any of this have to do with Live Steam. OK end rant.

ME
It's called "bonding"-----folks with common interests sharing their likes and dislikes. We do that on this board---we're a friendly bunch, able to discuss things, even things with which we may not agree---and remain friends.

I dare say pretty much everyone who has spent much time on the net has learned something when the topic at hand had little to do with what they may have learned. I know it's true for me.

So long as politics, religion or profanity are not part of a post, it's welcome here. We do not discourage wandering, so long as it's kept within the few guidelines mentioned.

H
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Least we forget...disco suques! Sorry...had to throw that in after the rap rant!

While back, Chris Brew posted a photo of his transport rig. Thought I'd share pix that might be of interest to some. This goes hand-in-hand with the rant about loading equipment quickly...so one can pull away from the loading area and not hold up others. Realize too...for every 10 hobbyists...there will be at least 20 other ways to secure equipment for transport! :roll:

Can't take credit for this idea. Saw someone else using the "coupler pocket" concept years ago when I got into the hobby. Design was amended based on materials available. But basically, it all starts with some 3" rectangular steel tubing. If you model 2.5" scale...could probably up-size the pocket to 4" square steel tubing.
xIMG_0322.JPG
xIMG_0323.JPG
xIMG_0324.JPG
When the coupler "pin" is dropped into the pocket...this holds the coupler to the right inside of the tube and as far forward as possible. This at least prevents the rolling stock from moving until you can finish securing the equipment and minimizes fore/after motion. When unloading...kinda gives new meaning to the phrase..."pull the pin"!

For couplers with bottom latch pin...you'll need to cut/machine slot to clear that. Might have to do something similar for top activated coupler lift pins. For locos with a tube pilot or staves...you'll need to cut the bottom of the pocket back at an angle (can barely see this in the photos) to clear the pilot.

Now you know another part of the "quick" load/unload story. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Nice Carl. these are my version on the truck rack
Striker.jpg
finished-1.jpg
finished rack ready for loading
finished.jpg
this is my transport and storage cart for the trail set.
one day when i can upgrade the travel trailer to a fifth wheel toy hauler. then the cart becomes the mobile rack
transport.jpg
all this work is to make transport and load/unload easier. as i get older and now the kiddo is all grown up, I am having to do this solo. its all about the easy :)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

lrdg2150 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 am OK here's my rant. What the #### does any of this have to do with Live Steam. OK end rant.

ME
The sound of a hard-working steam locomotive is Music to my Ears!
~RN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Russ...
that goes right along with the clickety clack of the railroad track... cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Coupler anchoring ideas! Just in time as I am now setting up a new trailer with racks! I like the coupler anchor. :D

Jim B