Custom Size Lapping plate

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rwilliams

Custom Size Lapping plate

Post by Rwilliams »

Recently I was assigned the task of developing a custom sized lapping plate of 1 inch thick, 1.875 in width and 6 inches in length. The lapping plate has the specific end purpose to lap the D valve surface in the steam head casting of a full size Westinghouse single cylinder 9.5 inch diameter air pump.

The original D valve surface in the head casting is well worn and no longer flat. The custom size lapping plate will fit in the opening and give enough length to cover the surface that needs some serious attention after many years of use. We estimated that even at the Westinghouse production facility long ago, they had to have some sort of small custom fit lapping plate to make the original pumps steam tight at the D valve surface. Unfortunately such knowledge has been lost to time and one has to resort to guesswork in order to restore the surface to a more useful condition. A steam locomotive is rather useless without a working air pump.

While most smaller lapping plates I have seen or used have small slots with resulting squares of .500 by .500, the small size of the plate needed might work better with squares of only .375 square in order to deal with the smaller surface area that needs to be brought back to a more flat condition.

Does anyone have any practical experience with small special size lapping plates and the most reasonable size of square to be used when making and using them?

The plate will be cast iron.
GlennW

Re: Custom Size Lapping plate

Post by GlennW »

I have 11" x 15" plates with 1/4" squares, and also smaller ones I have made for specific jobs that are a diamond pattern.
DSC01015.jpg
DSC01016.jpg
You can't just make one plate though, as they need to be lapped together to get them flat.

Normally, you groove both sides of one plate and only one side of the other plate.

You then lap them together in different order to achieve flatness.

I'll dig out the info and post it.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Lapping002.jpg
Lapping003.jpg
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
pete

Post by pete »

Tom Lipton on his Youtube channel showed making a lap using pennys super glued to a block and faced off in a lathe to get the penny's impressions removed and all of them to roughly the same height. Then it was lapped to get it truly flat.The copper works as the soft metal carrier for the lapping compound and the spaces between the pennys worked the same as a grooved lapping block. Might be another method for you? His backing block was round but the same done on whatever shape / size of lap you need for that valve face could be fly cut in a mill to start.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Good luck finding copper pennies.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
pete

Post by pete »

I saved a bunch before they got deleted. :-)
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Sure, I have a drawer with divider. Zinc and Copper. I use them for special washers. They actually cost less than washers at Home Depot.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Yea! They only cost a penny!
~RN