New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by BadDog »

That machine is fantastic, and I believe it has found it's proper home...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

Sure have to agree with you Russ. Very, very nice work Patio.
Patio

Post by Patio »

There is one major mistake with this design, anyone figure it out yet?
Harold you are disqualified from the test, as we have spoken about it, before I made the part. I had a brain fart and did not follow my own advise.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

I don't know what fault it was but if you were able to make one part on that machine to correct it, cool again. This is sort of a trip for me and I expect many others. At some point, somebody is going to see one of these machines and know more about them by your information. Others will be standing around clueless.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The threaded part should have been done in a left hand thread. That way if the adapter ever tried to spin it would tighten the flange onto the adapter not try to unscrew it. It is glued into place so it should not move anyway.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I just received some new parts, for the lathe, from Cazeneuve.

This is an "Spindle Extension", with a lock nut and to locking buttons. It has an internal thread on the bottom end, where it connects to the lathe spindle.
20180520_224625a.jpg
And this is how they will assemble, on the left hand end of my spindle. The extension and the lock nuts are also used to set, the spindle's bearing preload. The actual spindle only runs, just beyond the left spindle bearing. The extension continues past the left edge of the cabinet, allowing any chips that enter the spindle, to leave the machine and not end up inside the cabinet.
20180520_224743a.jpg
I will get some pictures of the set up it has now, and the install of the spindle extension.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello everyone.
I am still progressing forward, between other projects.
I have installed the new Spindle extension.
I stand corrected on how they actually work with each other.
The nut, sets the spindle preload and is secured by one of the half moon keepers. The spindle extension is then threaded on to the end of the spindle, seating on a internal shoulder. It is then held into place with the other half moon keeper.

This is a picture of the spindle setup, made by the PO, when I bought it. The shiny aluminum part, is a plug I made for the end of the spindle, to keep the chips out of the motor cabinet.
20151017_134221a.jpg
These are the parts when removed.
20180530_183128a.jpg
20180530_183141a.jpg
The protruding part of the ring, was the load bearing section. The collar was made from the original nut and some round stock. The four set screws were tightened to set the preload.

Here is the new unit installed properly.
20180530_182142a.jpg
20180530_182228a.jpg
This is another mile stone in the life of this lathe. I am only the keeper of it, for the moment. Someday it will belong to another, and in better condition than when I acquired it.

I am still working on the control mechanism. That process can be seen in another thread on the board, starting on this page.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=89632&start=360
That is it for now. It is summer time here in Washington state, meaning there is lots to do and get done, so things go more slowly on nonessential projects.
Take care of each other!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

It just occurred to me, that you guys might like to see it with the cabinet closed! :D
20180601_230858a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

The cabinet door latch uses a 1/4" socket, to actuate the latch. I have been using a 1/4" drive ratchet, up to this point. I am going in and out of the cabinet enough lately, that I decided to make a dedicated handle for it.
Here is the results. The body is stainless and the handle is some form of mild steel.
20180603_172336a.jpg
It fits just snug enough to stay in place.
20180603_172416a.jpg
Still working on the speed controls. I have an new idea and have figure out where to mount the control. Now to draw it all up and see if it will work as planned.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

With such a nice lathe, I hope Patio is up to the task to use it well.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Mr Ron wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:57 pm With such a nice lathe, I hope Patio is up to the task to use it well.
Pat's got a real good grip on running it.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Patio

Post by Patio »

When the controls are completed, I have a friend that has agreed to help me make some documentary type videos, of the lathe's many unique features, in operation. I will post them for all to see when made. I have not idea how long it will take to get to that point. I am drawing the new mechanism at this time, to see if it is viable setup.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!