Self-ejecting chuck keys Y/N

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Packard V8

Self-ejecting chuck keys Y/N

Post by Packard V8 »

There are two classes of machinists - those who've forgotten to remove the chuck key and had it thrown at them and those who've been hit by one.

Having said that, I don't remember ever owning one of those spring-loaded-self-ejecting chuck keys. Some have an external spring.

and some have an internal spring covered by a sleeve.

Those of you who've used one, what are the negatives that keep them from being universally used. Slight extra cost is one. Convenience?

What are your thoughts?

jack vines
Magicniner

Re: Self-ejecting chuck keys Y/N

Post by Magicniner »

They're primarily a tool to protect manufacturers from the stupidity of the users of their products.

I have my chuck keys on swivels on tool balancers :D
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

They are hateful to use.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I like the ones with the external spring. That makes it easier to get the spring off.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Boy, that's the truth.

I might be able to tolerate springs if they weren't 3 times as strong as they needed to be. I don't want to have to exert myself just to keep a key in a chuck. A gentle reminder to remove the key would be sufficient.

I saw a good idea for drill chuck key retention. A guy kept his on a cord attached to something. If it took off, it couldn't go far.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I put a spring on mine. It's just a light spring, so it's not a pain to use like the one Steve referred to.

I don't find it to be an inconvenience.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Make a socket for the chuck in a convenient spot with a microswitch in it wired so that the lathe won't run unless the chuck is in the socket.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have found the sprung self-ejecting chuck keys to be difficult to use.
Not to mention when they pop out of the chuck and ding the lathe ways by the chuck!

I don't use them. I simply NEVER leave keys in the chuck.
And I've never been hit by one.
~RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've operated metal lathes since I was a young lad of about age 14. That gives me 64 years on machines. I worked in the trade for many years, and am still active in machining, albeit at the hobby level.
My opinion of a spring loaded chuck key is it has no place in my shop. I would find it totally offensive.

Why, you may ask?

There are times when I want my chuck key to sit in the socket. I have enough experience to know better than to start my machine with the key in the chuck.

I do not speak for anyone else in this issue. Each of us will do what we deem to be the "right thing" in order to safeguard operating our machines. Seek the level of protection that you find comfortable. There is no right or wrong. Just various preferences.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

John Hasler wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:54 pm Make a socket for the chuck in a convenient spot with a microswitch in it wired so that the lathe won't run unless the chuck is in the socket.
As you will have multiple chuck keys for different lathe chucks and tailstock drill chucks, you could make one that disconnects the power when ANY of them is removed.

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Packard V8 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:43 pm There are two classes of machinists - those who've forgotten to remove the chuck key and had it thrown at them and those who've been hit by one.
My experience is of the #2 kind, both in surprise and embarrassment. :oops:
I have not left the key in the chuck and turned on the machine after the first time 60 years ago. My breastbone still hurts when I think about it.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

earlgo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 amI have not left the key in the chuck and turned on the machine after the first time 60 years ago.
Exactly! It should be a self correcting problem.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!