Help Baker valve gear

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

pollockmarine

Help Baker valve gear

Post by pollockmarine »

Hi team,

Trying to find what style Baker valve gear the C&O K3-a heavy Mikado run and also the NYC H10a

Thanks in advance
Brendan
Pat Fahey

Re: Help Baker valve gear

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi
I just took a look at my books on C&O Power and NYC Steam power, looks like the engines you are looking for carried the same type of valve gear. Both had inside admission to the valves, is that what you are looking for? Pat Fahey WLS
pollockmarine

Post by pollockmarine »

Hi Pat,

I'm have trying to work out if it was style 4 or 5 I know it was long stroke Baker inside admission but as to drawings I am lacking
david griner

Post by david griner »

You might try this.....................a very complete dissertation, including many dimensions on the various frames.

http://www.solidesign.bizland.com/pdf/B ... 201946.pdf
little giant

Post by little giant »

NYC H10a used the triangular frame, looks like channel steel with edges facing outward.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Baker valve gear was designed in three different sizes, at least for inside admission valves:
Standard; The common gear frames have reinforcing ribs visible on the outside of the hanger frames. The triangular gear frame was generally used on two-wheel pilot truck locomotives while the long frame was generally used on four-wheel pilot truck locomotives. Use of the gear frame type depended on where the support hangers were positioned in between the drivers in relation to the cylinder location to allow room to properly design the valve rod and other components.
It looks like Roger Goldman of Live Steam Locomotives makes this size gear for 1-1/2” scale although I have never measured it.
Long Travel & Long Lap; With the need for greater port openings and larger valve lap came these larger gear assemblies.
This is the gear that we find on modern locomotives such as NKP Berkshires, NYC Niagara’s, etc. Both the long and short versions of the gear frame are characterized by having smooth outside contours with the reinforcing ribs on the inside.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

I have that booklet. I thought that the gear was standard, that for a given gear type all the dimensions were the same regardless of which locomotive it might be used on. However after looking at the dimensional diagrams on page 46 detail 3 I have a question. On the "gear connecting rod" the distance between the center pivot and the lower connection for the eccentric rod is given as 16 - 18 inches. How on earth do you determine which one to use???

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Still looking for an answer.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Contact the New York Central Historical Society. Ask your question and probably receive an answer.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the length is dependent on what is needed to get the end of the pivot centered on the axle height, so it is in effect a variable defined by the loco construction. Pilliod made several 'standard' lengths and the location of the valve frame was setup to use one of them.

you generally have to make some assumptions, stick in some numbers and see if you can build a loco around them by moving the valve frame up down / back forth. If not, move things around.

For a model, you can make the arm any length you want since you are not purchasing components from Pilliod.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Thank you, Bill.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

The drawings available from NYCSHS have more information on the H10's than you would ever need. Just sign a waiver saying you don't intend to profit off of the drawings, and the price is very reasonable.

http://www.nycshs.net/NYCS-Drawing-File ... p_189.html