Preserving Old Cars

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

pat1027

Preserving Old Cars

Post by pat1027 »

I recall a discussion on preserving old paint but can't find it. Here's what I have

1) I have a Rittenberg hopper dating from the 60's. It's in the original paint with hand lettering. It's taken on a nice patina. The paint has dulled. There is just a touch of white chalking trailing down from the lettering. I like the appearance and history of the car and do not want to change it. I inclined to not do anything and just keep it from the elements. But I consider too if there is anyway to preserve it's current appearance. I am afraid a clear coat would look just like that...old paint with a clear coat.

2) I have a couple cars with 25+/- years on the road. They were lettered with Dustin's decals and with time the heralds have started to crack and lift. I don't want to re-letter them and again want to preserve their current appearance. But with the decals I need to do something. Any suggestions on getting the lifting edges to lay flat and stay adhered to the car?

Thanks
Pat
Kevin S

Re: Preserving Old Cars

Post by Kevin S »

Pat, there are clear coats with different shine levels. The standard is gloss, then you have satin, and finally a flat. The flat would give you the look you want without that old with clear coat look. Are the decals a waterslide or a vinyl ?
-Kevin S.
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

My two Rittenburg cars are hand lettered.

Oops jumped send button. You’re asking about Dustin lettering.

Steve
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

The decals are water slide. The lettering is holding up o.k. but the two color heralds have cracked and started to lift at the cracks. What I've read on a model airplane forums is when the film has started to crack the backing is also loosening and will break up when it's wetted again. I'm considering going at it gently with Solviset or water and then clear coating over it.
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Let the car continue to "weather" until you, or someone else is inspired to give it a new life.

If you're that someone considering a new role for the equipment, completely re-do the car.

The original builder of the equipment would surely approve!

John