1" U in 1/4" copper tube

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

1" U in 1/4" copper tube

Post by DianneB »

I needed a U bent from 1/4" copper tube - that's pretty tight!

I tried packing a piece of 1/4" tube with fine sand, crimping and soldering the ends closed, and bending it around a 3/4" mandrel. Didn't work - the tube distorted! :cry:

I tried filling a piece of 1/4" tube with water, crimping and soldering the ends closed, and bending it around a 3/4" mandrel. Didn't work - the tube distorted! :cry:

Finally I crimped one end closed and melted the tube full of common solder, bent it around the 3/4" mandrel and IT WORKED! The tube did NOT distort! The solder made it pretty stiff to bend though! Melted the solder out and now have a nice even U with 1" between the legs.

Just thought I would share ....
1 Inch U.jpg
Harold_V

Re: 1" U in 1/4" copper tube

Post by Harold_V »

Nice. Cerrobend is reputed to serve in that capacity, but my one and only experience didn't turn out all that well. I do not recall the details, as it was more than 40 years ago.

Well done!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

DianneB wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 am I needed a U bent from 1/4" copper tube...I tried packing a piece of 1/4" tube with fine sand...I tried filling a piece of 1/4" tube with water...Didn't work - the tube distorted! :cry:
The travails you describe are what led me to invest in precision tube benders many years ago, some of which I've had since back when Pres. Gerald Ford was stumbling down the steps of Air Force 1. :D My 1/4 inch bender forms bends on a 0.563 inch radius, so it would produce a 1-1/8 inch U (center-to-center). All of the benders readily handle seamless 304 stainless tubing, which is what I used to do the air, fuel and hydraulic piping on my F-unit.

In the below picture, the smallest lines are 1/4 inch and the largest are 1/2 inch.

F7 Power Assembly, Engineer's Side
F7 Power Assembly, Engineer's Side
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Yes, Cerrobend will do the same thing, and melts in boiling water for easy removal and to be used over and over. To assist during bending, you should first squirt some lube down the tube like LPS2. This keeps the Cerrobend from sticking to the copper pipe. If steam is going to go through a copper pipe, you don't want any stuck solder bits to come loose.

These pipes were bent using Cerro bend and a home made pipe bender, the radius is even smaller than 1/2" radius.
DSCN1543 - resized 4.jpg
DSCN1542 - resized 5.jpg
DSCN1546 - reduced.jpg
David
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

I have had pretty good luck making a "mandrel" of washers with the correct OD and stacking them to 1/4" with fender washers with a larger OD and bolting together to bend a radius in copper tubing. Wont work with brass as it wants to kink but 1/4" copper will make 3/4" and 1" diameter bends pretty well without any filler.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

One of the items on my "To-Do" list . . . a small tube bender.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
shild

Post by shild »

DianneB wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 am I needed a U bent from 1/4" copper tube - that's pretty tight!

I tried packing a piece of 1/4" tube with fine sand, crimping and soldering the ends closed, and bending it around a 3/4" mandrel. Didn't work - the tube distorted! :cry:

I tried filling a piece of 1/4" tube with water, crimping and soldering the ends closed, and bending it around a 3/4" mandrel. Didn't work - the tube distorted! :cry:

Finally I crimped one end closed and melted the tube full of common solder, bent it around the 3/4" mandrel and IT WORKED! The tube did NOT distort! The solder made it pretty stiff to bend though! Melted the solder out and now have a nice even U with 1" between the legs.

Just thought I would share ....

1 Inch U.jpg
Congrats on a well done, difficult to do bend. You are a steam clubbing man! I forget what they are called but in the automotive exhaust world there are a bunch of round plates they will the exhaust tubes with before bending.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

A trick that makers of brass musical instruments (trombones, trumpets, etc.) use to bend tubing is to make a solution of water and soap... Like Ivory or Dawn dish washing soap for example. They pour the soapy water into the tubing, freeze the tube, and then bend the tube around a form to the radius/curve/shape desired.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

LivingLegend wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:07 pm They pour the soapy water into the tubing, freeze the tube, and then bend the tube around a form to the radius/curve/shape desired.
Any idea what function is performed by the addition of soap?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Keeps the ice from cracking. They also freeze the ice to around -60 or -70 degree range. Cerrobend is also used for their bends. Some makers use pitch.
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

LivingLegend wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:02 am....They also freeze the ice to around -60 or -70 degree range.....
I don't have dry ice in stock either and don't know how else you could get -60 or -70!!
Fender

Post by Fender »

Depending on the degree of bending, one might need to anneal the tube, fill with solution, freeze, bend, rinse, repeat....😀
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN