3-1/2" OS Porter Live steam need help

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

mat_steamer

3-1/2" OS Porter Live steam need help

Post by mat_steamer »

Hello Friends. I am very new to Live steam. But always wanted to do it part of my passion towards railroad and locomotives. Got a OS Models Porter 3-1/2" Gauge Live steam. Did not come with any manuals or parts, but looks good. I am in need of great help from you buddies. I need to know what steam oil and machine oil to purchase and use on this locomotive.
And couple of questions,
(i) I see a hand pump on the tender, does the tender needs to be filled with water too?
(ii) The tender has three pipes and loco has three pipes, do I need to connect them all and do they all meant for water?
Sorry my questions are silly, but that's what I am in Live steam.
(iii) if someone has an electronic copy of the manual please send it to me.

At the moment I am building a small loop with the tracks it came with , seems like lot of work..

thank you folks, Please help me out.
Thank you
Mat from Land of 10000 Lakes (MN)
James Powell

Re: 3-1/2" OS Porter Live steam need help

Post by James Powell »

Hi Mat_Steamer,

The first thing I would suggest is give us a location - not your home address, but at least a country !

The next thing I would suggest is join a local club- (see above !)

As far as OS engines go, I would think they may be able to support you with a manual. Have you tried a politely worded Email to them?

(1), yes the tender is filled with water, so that there is somewhere to refil the boiler from.
(2), if there are 3 connections, one will be from the hand pump, one to the axle pump and one from the axle pump

James
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Welcome to the hobby Mat_Steamer!
Do take advantage of the search tool in the upper right hand corner of the page, this board is a treasure trove of information.

Brook
mat_steamer

Post by mat_steamer »

Thank you James and Adams

First of all thank you all for your quick response, I think I did a good job finding this website and registered. Seems like lots of knowledge available here.
I did contacted OS Models, they did send me some pdf files and a manual as well, but the manual has only 12 pages, seems like it has more than 35 pages, and most of the important information are around pages, 33 to 37, which I am missing.

Any clue on what steam oil and machine oil to use on this model? Since this model has been sitting for years in display, do I need to do any kind of boiler test or any other test.

Regarding the steamer club, I do have one very far in St.Croix, MN, I will contact them, they are not open on all days, only Sundays.

thanks
Mat
Minnesota.
Thank you
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Mat,
The St. Croix RR just recently redid their high line (which includes 3½" gauge) and would be a good place to go for information. There are a couple local guys with 3½" gauge equipment and they also have some other OS engines on site. I believe some members also have some good contacts with OS still if you unable to get a hold of them.

Send them a message at info@stcroixrr.org and if they don't get back to you in a day, send me a message and I can get you some contact information for someone out there.

If you wanted to stop by and chat with some people, their workdays are every Saturday with some rundays on Sunday as well. Best to go Saturday morning before lunch if possible.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

I'm sure someone will be along from St Croix, as I seem to think some of the posters on here are from that area :).

Steam oil- I'm using Chevron TK460, which I find a bit lightweight in my engines, but is OK. What you should do is use 2 different oils- the steam cylinder oil for the cylinders, and a EP oil for the motion- something like 90W gear oil is probably close to right. I tend to cheat and use 15-20w non detergent motor oil, because I have it, not because it is "right".

You should do a hydrostatic test on the boiler, which the club likely will organize. The OS boilers have a known providence, and what is likely required is a 1.5 or 2x working pressure hydrostatic test. These tests are either annual or bi-annual, depending on local club rules/state rules. With a copper boiler, quite often it is bi-annual, again, all this is usually laid out by the club rules/insurance.

I'd send another Email to OS, if there is an identifying # on the boiler or elsewhere (not the road #...) and explain that what you would like to do is buy the construction & operation manual for the engine. They may have thought you were kicking the tires...whereas you actually own one... They are a Japanese company, so polite usually will result in a good result.

Other options are to try and get some of the more usual books on operating models- https://www.amazon.ca/Want-Build-Live-S ... 0914104012 is one of the standards. (as would be getting hands on a pile of Model Engineer or Live Steam & looking for appropriate articles ). I don't know how much Kozo covers in his books/articles, but I would suspect they might be a good source of info too. (particularly the A switcher).

(also try a search on here, I know that the topic has come up on here before)

One big thing I would suggest, is get used to running the engine on blocks/a stand before going to a track and trying to run it. If you can manage the engine as a stationary thing, with everything to hand, then it makes it far easier to get around the track, when the tool you need is 900' away from you :). (as Chuck puts it- good judgement comes from experience...experience comes from poor judgement...) I tend to favor 4x4's to raise my poor hapless Caribou, but a roller stand has the advantage of not looking as getto.

I'm a little far away to nip over- I live on Vancouver Island, BC :)

I hope this all helps
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Any good steam oil between ISO/400 and 500 will do fine, and while Chevron calls their steam oil Super600 it's actually about an ISO/460 oil. A true ISO/600 would be for superheated service and would be too heavy for the OS Mogul.

Peoples choices of mechanical/motion lubricating oils are all over the place but I've been extremely pleased over a long period of time with an ISO/60 hydraulic oil, common stuff sold by almost every automotive, farm & home, and industrial supplier.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
mat_steamer

Post by mat_steamer »

Good evening. Thank you SPSteam, James and GWRDriver. Thanks a lot. I am getting lot of confidence on my new hobby through you all. Seems like I have a GPS on hand to find where I go. Thanks a lot on the information on oils, I will go with Chevron TK460 and ISO60 hydraulic for machine oil. Here are my next steps I will contact the St. Croix club members and take my loco there to do some initial basic tests and put my loco on run on their track. I need to build a block for static run as well. Thank you again guys.
Thank you
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

There are good videos on You Tube. Here are a couple from the steam channel. They are a different scale but the principles are the same.

Wayne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbmXcp_5Ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfpJUOjGNx8
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Correction . . . the oil I've used isn't a Chevron product but Mobil "600W Super Cylinder Oil" which is ISO 460. It was the only steam oil available off-the-shelf from the local petroleum distributor, aside from Shell Valvata, which was only stocked in 55-gal drums!
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

mat_steamer:
I have what you want.
Decades ago one of my friends acquired the OS 2-6-0 Porter in 3.5" gauge.
He let me copy all the documentation!

So I have binder with the complete OS instructions for building, operating, and trouble-shooting your locomotive.
Also have the full sized drawings of the locomotive with full specs.

Contact me via my email and we can arrange for me to send you the binder of info. No charge.
Rnoe317@gmail.com

Note: OS even specified tools for operation, including:
"Oil can, with Steam Cylinder Oil (600 W)." Not very specific.
Make sure you get actual Steam Cylinder Oil, because it emulsifies with water to provide proper lubrication.

For years I have lubricated my locomotive's motion work with lathe way oil! It is long-polymer and makes strings that stay around for long times, providing lubrication.
My locomotive's rod bearings show no wear after >550 real miles of operation, so far.

Here is an online company that specifically makes tallow based steam cylinder oils in various viscosities, and will sell it (at least USED to) in 1 gallon jugs.
http://steamenginelube.com
Their website offers complete descriptions and recommended uses for all of their oils. Truly with Live Steamers in mind!
They also supply oil for full-sized steam locomotive operations.

I've been using their oils for 15+ years now. I met and worked with the creator of this business in the late 1970s In Snoqualmie, Washington, where he and his brother ran a steam-powered sawmill, and messed with all things steam.
Hopefully they are still in this specialized oil business.

'Look forward to hearing from you.
~RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The OS Porter is a good little engine. I had one 40 years ago while living in the middle east. We ran it on propane and it ran very well and provided many years of enjoyment. Sadly I no longer have the manuals (or loco), but it is easy to run but requires care since it has a smallish boiler and is a bit light weight (slippery).

you will have a lot of fun with it.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.