Looking for ASME safety valve

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Looking for ASME safety valve

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hello All,

looking for an ASME certified Kunkle Safety Valve, 1/2” inlet, model 1 top venting outlet, set to 130 or 135 PSI.

Also need a 3/4” Safety Valve for a 14” boiler, top venting model, set to 130 PSI.

Thanks,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Re: Looking for ASME safety valve

Post by NP317 »

I would check with Don Defley or Ken Olson, of Kitsap Live Steamers.
They both use those types of safeties.
~RN
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

If these are for your Ottoways, make sure you know how much you need to release etc.. pounds per hour, set/reset pressures.

They can be had through boiler supply houses. We get ours from St. Louis Boiler Supply.

Mike
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Furthering my education in all things steam, I got a quick lesson in safety valves this morning. The old style Kunkle Type 1 valve - top venting- is now rated by ASME for section VIII use only. section VIII applies to steam lines attached to boilers. These aren’t very common, and no one I called had them in stock.

section 1 valves, mounted directly on fired boilers would use a Kunkle model 6182 DCMO-1 having a 1/2” threaded inlet. Jim at Eppson company related his valve building service center guy says most people who order this model have the release pressure set 10% over the boiler design pressure.

NOTE: I should have said “operating pressure”, not ‘design pressure’- in the para above.

So for a 130 PSI operating pressure, they generally set the valves to release at 143 PSI. Similar in design, but taller overall - about 6” tall. This is what I went with.
Attachments
23C38167-E50A-4826-A741-A072FF656A04.jpeg
23C38167-E50A-4826-A741-A072FF656A04.jpeg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 6967 times

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Why would ANY safety valve be set ABOVE the boiler design pressure?????
Violates everything I know about pressure vessels and federal/state laws.
What and I not understanding? The definition of "boiler design pressure"?
~RN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, I think what the vendor was saying is that section 1 allows a safety valve to set up to 10% over the designed operating pressure, which is a usual practice on Fired boiled valves they build. In my case this would be 143 PSI, based on an operating pressure of 130 PSI. But, not to exceed Maximum Design Pressure.

However, I need to verify my boiler design, so shall have them hold the valve build in abeyance for day or so, until I can review what is actually stamped into the back head, Re: operating pressure.

Thanks for the warning shot across the bows here.

Glenn

Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

There are probably many hundreds of the short Kunkle valve for unfired vessels being used on small boilers. Has anyone heard of a regulator having an issue with their use?
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

FYI. Here is a site that sells lots of steam/hot water related devices.

Some good information

I buy Bell & Gossett stuff for my home heating system from them.

https://www.statesupply.com
Craig

Post by Craig »

American Model Engineering - has the 1/2” ones in their online catalogue
Emerson Electric is the current owner http://kunklevalve.company/Emerson%20Kunkle/_1.pdf
Craig

Post by Craig »

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Dick, here in Washington the small type 1 Kunkle valves would be acceptable on hobby boilers - 14” diameter and smaller, used in non-commercial settings, such as 1/8 scale locos. Our state boiler code was changed a few years ago to exempt hobby (train) boilers from state inspection. So there is some leeway to use these small Kunkle valves on locomotives. However, that’s just Washington state, and maybe 13 or 14 other states that have adopted this hobby boiler language.

I found that type 1 Kunkle valves are rarely sold and not stocked any more, hence were all quoted as special order. Instead, I went with Kunkle’s current section 1, top venting, fire fired boiler valve, Model 6182. It was only a one day delay to set my requested venting pressure and ship. So seemed like the best way to go. Now my locomotive is 12” gauge so a quite bit larger than most 7.5” engines. Also my whistle came off a very large old tug boat, so don’t think the larger physical size of this 6182 valve will be that noticeable. :D

Glenn
Attachments
74BB6F53-2275-4D6B-87B9-A2421105D591.jpeg