Injector size for My Sweet William

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JohnR

Injector size for My Sweet William

Post by JohnR »

I am finishing up my Sweet William loco in 1 1/2 scale.
I would like to add an injector for water makeup.
I currently have the dual axle pump setup as suggested in the original design as well as the manual
hand pump.
The calculation that I have done suggests I need around 18 oz./min. to maintain equilibrium.
How much greater should I size the injector.
Thank you.
optigman

Re: Injector size for My Sweet William

Post by optigman »

You should contact Anthony from Eccentric Engineer. He can certainly steer you correctly when it comes to injectors and filling capacity. His injectors work perfectly and deliver the specified amount. Delivery rate is important so you can properly size the injector to the demand. Eccentric Engineer also makes a small injector that some leave on constantly to keep up with demand on larger boilers. It works similarly to an axle pump with an adjusted bypass that keeps up with water demand. Of course it works great for small boilers where larger injectors deliver far too much water too fast and lower boiler pressure due to the higher delivery rate of a large injector. His products are 100% CNC machined to the closest tolerance in the industry. He can also probably custom make an injector that would meet any delivery rate you could ever want. Visit his website eccentricengineer.com and look over his product line. Everything he makes is of the highest quality & reliability!!
Superscale is also tooling up and will be making their high quality line of products again which includes injectors with the same delivery rate as Eccentric Engineer roughly. It could be some time though before Superscale is producing injectors. You can search Chaski for Superscale and contact them through the Chaski link.
Loco Parts was also developing an injector last I heard. They have a nice website, quality products, and contact info on the Web.
You could also contact Trainman4602 but there is some confusion when his injector will be available and the capacity is still to be determined. The video for his injector came out well over a year ago and apparently was going to be a welcome addition to the steam hobby after the passing of Barry Hauge who was the man who set the high quality standard in live steam that we now enjoy today.
Good luck sizing your injector to your boiler! Optigman
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Thank you for the kind recommendation optigman.

JohnR, I typically recommend that an injector be able to deliver twice the anticipated max consumption, however, boiler capacity is also a factor in the rate at which an injector will fill your boiler. If I remember correctly the Sweet William has a decent sized boiler relative to the size of the engine.

My 'Small Scales' injector delivers approximately 40oz/min at 100psi (3/16 or 1/4 tubing), and the 'Standard Injector' delivers 80oz at 125psi (5/16 tubing). I have the small injectors in stock now, and I will have more Standards available in about a month's time.

If your plan is to use the injector as a supplemental supply while stationary, I think the small injector would be quite suitable, but it might come up short if you wanted to use it as a primary water supply while running.

https://www.eccentricengineer.com/injec ... s-injector

As optigman suggested, I can also make a custom injector to suit your specific requirements.

-Anthony
Eccentric Engineer
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I used a Superscale on my Sweet William and it worked quite well. I also have an EE injector on my Hunslet. Both work well with the saddle tank until the water gets really hot and even then they both still worked but dribbled a lot. You have to be careful of what you use on a tank engine. I have tried the British injectors and they quit when the water got warm.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

fill the tanks with ice.....giggle

that is what we did in the desert
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

As long as I'm running I add water often enough to keep it cool. If I stop for any length of time I open the injector water valve and let the tank drain. Fill it up with cold water when I'm ready to go again. Works most of the time.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Although my locomotive is a tank engine, I also have a water supply in my riding car. This tank is piped to the tanks in the loco. My injector supply comes directly as a single pipe/flexible tube, from the tank in the riding car. This assures that the supply for the injector is always cool water. When I top off the water while running, I only fill the riding car tank.

David.