N&W S1a Project - Tender Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

gamh44

N&W S1a Project - Tender Build

Post by gamh44 »

All

It has taken some significant time for me to get started on this so I thought it might be good motivation to record the progress of this build here to help me moving in the right direction.

This is a first time build so please feel free to offer any suggestions you feel might be helpful.

The (quite significant) starting point is what is ostensibly a complete and running engine. This is on around 20psi.

This much was achieved in around 5 or so years but has been sitting for another 15 since. It was built without any plans. It was scaled up from a HO gauge model built by Tenshodo (Ginza, Japan) and a couple of 6x4 photographs of the prototype taken from O Winston Link’s Locomotive Cyclopaedia. It has been built to a scale of 1&3/16” to the foot, so around 1:10. This should please the other N&W builders here. Pity we are separated by a big sea!

There is a bunch of detail to complete on the engine as well as most of the plumbing but I thought it best to work on the tender first so I can sort out my mistakes early then come back to the engine once that is all squared away.

So here is the start of the tender build. It is also proof for later on that I at least started with a clean bench (didn't last long!).
1. First Cuts.JPG
Milling excess of the 1" box to make channel
2. Making Channel.JPG
And the basics of the frame ready to be bolted together (which is now all done).
5. Frame B.JPG
6. Frame C.JPG
Even though it is bolted and quite sturdy, the plan is to square all this up and clamp it tight then weld it all together - just to be sure. The rear coupler was built at the same time as the front one on the engine.

More soon.

Regards.

Geof
rwmorris

Re: N&W S1a Project - Tender Build

Post by rwmorris »

Wow! Nice job.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"Patience, Grasshopper."
Nice re-start of a significant project.
Keep on it. You will enjoy the process.
So will your audience here.
~RN
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello gamh44,
Watched your video, excellent running 8) !
What a pitty indeed, regarding we are living apart at such distance :( . Your engine would complete our ensemble perfectly!
We will watch your progress with great interest :!:

Asteamhead
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello again gamh44,
I forgot to mention the 3rd tool from the right on the photo of your board. This adjustable :!: grip nippers made by Facom or Gedore to me was worth it's weight in gold :) working at elder cars.

Best regards
Asteamhead
gamh44

Post by gamh44 »

All

Thanks for the replies.

Asteamhead, those nippers are not used often but are certainly very handy when needed.

Nothing too exciting at this stage, but some progress nonetheless.

I expect that this loco will be capable of hauling a significant train so I was a little concerned about transferring all the tension through the tender via a bunch of joins - bolted and welded. Probably fine but decided to avoid any later issues with the 75x6 flatbar through the centre (as above). This will also serve as mounting for the bogies. The drawbar and rear coupler will be attached directly to this.

For interest, here is a close up of the rear coupler from underneath. The coupler itself can be easily removed and replaced with a simple drawbar as required.
7. Rear Coupler.JPG
Next, I made a start on the bogies. This is the markout for what will be the template (or a spare) and some holes.
11. Bogie Drill A.jpg
After some hacking and filing.
12. Bogie Drill B.jpg
And the insides all done.
13. Bogie Cutout A.jpg
Once the template is sorted, there are eight of these needed in total. These will be mostly done in the mill in one operation.

Regards

Geof
gamh44

Post by gamh44 »

All

So the first of the eight frames required for the bogies has been finished off. The top and bottom of the bogie frame had been slightly channelled to accept the frame to make the set up a little easier.
17. Bogie Parts.jpg
Top and bottom (mostly) bent to shape here and mocked up with a prototype wheel.
19. Bogie B.JPG
Next up is to cut up the flatbar for some mass production.
24. Bogie Frames A.JPG
These will be pinned together and milled to size in one operation.

Geof
gamh44

Post by gamh44 »

All

The bulk operations for the bogie frames are all done now.

Here they are set up, bolted together with two 3/8" dowells to keep them all in line.
28. Bogie Frame Bulk C.JPG
After fly cutting both sides of the block, the middle section was removed by drilling and milling to finish.
30. Bogies 1st cuts.JPG
Then the lower excess removed. The curves were just done freehand and were file finished to the line later.
31. Bogies lower.JPG
No CNC for me so this was to cut the bulk off the upper curves. The end mill smoothed these out considerably then they were file finished.
33. Bogies round 1.JPG
A CNC would have been nice for this part. Not much in line with the x or y axis here.
36. Bogies last 2.JPG
All done.
38. Bogies done.jpg
They came up nicely although if I was to do them again I would include one extra on each side. As well as a few file marks, the outer frames ended up with a slight curve. They should straighten up alright.

I have started on a bending jig to do the top and bottom rails for the bogie frames. The first attempt was reasonable but will need some fettling to get just right.

Regards

Geof
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Good old fashioned material removal methods. Nice.
'Makes castings look easier, though.
~RN
gamh44

Post by gamh44 »

I'm nothing if not old fashioned!

I guess the originals would have been cast which makes me feel better about small imperfections. Well beyond me to even think about making patterns for these!
gamh44

Post by gamh44 »

All

After bending one of the upper parts of the bogie frame by hand, I thought it might be better to make up a jig to get them all to end up the same size.

Here is the first bend
40. BendingJig1.JPG
The bottom bend
41. BendingJig2.jpg
The last bend
42. BendingJig3.JPG
Here is the end result matched up to the frame.
43. BendingJigResult.jpg
Now on to the top section ... my bending jig is starting to look like Swiss cheese.
44. TopBendingJig1.JPG
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

That bending jig looks like it was tricky to set-up, looks great!
-Frank K.