Something good about Harbor Freight

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Something good about Harbor Freight

Post by earlgo »

My 2 wheel lawn wagon is entirely built from slotted angle for a frame and 1 sheet of 3/8" plywood. The original wheels were from a Simplicity lawn mower. After they failed, I used HF 10" wheels, and after that failed I bought 13" HF pneumatics which have yet to be used. It is pulled behind the lawn tractor.
I looked at the commercial 4 wheel lawn wagon that I think I got at either Lowe's or Home Depot and the wheels are identical to the 10" HF models except they have yellow rims. The wheels on the commercial have never failed to keep air in them and it must be at least 10 years old. It is used to haul dirt and mulch around in the 40" bags.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Harbor Freight still sells a Bigfoot hand truck. Is it the same? Wondering what size bottles it will hold.

https://www.harborfreight.com/700-lb-ca ... 62900.html
Last edited by SteveHGraham on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, it appears functionally the same, but it's not the same as mine. The yellow version with "no flat" (I think they were called) foam filled tires is vastly superior in my book.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Items sold by HF are usually the same quality as some of the name brands, like Skil, B&D, etc. The difference is the price because HF buys direct from the manufacturer, eliminating the middle man which the name brand companies have to go through. That can add easily double what it costs HF. Not all HF items are great, but neither are the name brands. The name brands spend a little more on quality control, but the items are the same. QC only weeds out the bad items from reaching the public (not all the time). If a HF item fails, you can return it without any hassle. Over the years I have developed a new respect for HF. I admonish those who blanketly say HF is total junk. There is some real junk, but among that junk is a treasure waiting to be found. Many people who have gotten into woodworking or metalworking would never have gotten there if it wasn't for HF. One must know HF's limitations and their own as well.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The problem of comparing a HF item that is 15 years old and the same one today is they may have been made with better materials and in a different plant 15 years ago. That doesn't mean that item is still the same today. Costs can skyrocket causing quality to go down. Transportation can cost more, materials can cost more, labor can cost more, etc. We usually think that new items are better than older items, but that may not be completely true. If you compare a South Bend lathe, for example, to a new lathe made in China, there is usually no comparison. The SB may be worn out, but it can be rebuilt and will be better than a new China made lathe. I have a Sheldon lathe that was built in 1945 and is still in almost perfect condition and it has never been rebuilt.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Well, I seem to get nothing but junk from them ?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

A great deal depends on what type of things you buy. I'm not keen on anything that has a motor, as they have been marginal, at best, in my few experiences. However, I've made some incredible purchases from HF with items that closely emulate the quality of items that used to be made in the good 'ol USA.

As an example, about 15 years ago I purchased (for $30) a set of six large combination wrenches. Sizes are from 1-3/8" to 2". They closely resemble wrenches that used to be marketed by Sears (Craftsman) and appear to be of good quality. Thus far, they have served me well, although I confess, they don't get used a great deal.

Anyone who has purchased wrenches will testify that $30 won't buy you one wrench, let alone a half dozen. For me, a guy who doesn't use his wrenches for making a living, there's no way I could justify buying an American made similar wrench set, but I could easily justify the money I spent for them.

I have made a few purchases that required intervention to become useful. A large tile saw was one of them, but after reworking, it has served to my satisfaction. Again, I couldn't have justified one made in the USA--where people have become accustomed to wages that are often beyond their worth, to say nothing of corporate greed, where excessive profits are the norm.

Don't slam the door on HF because you "think" they sell just junk. A lot is. Some isn't. Their diamond blades are a very good buy, as an example.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Just picked up their small wood lathe. It's very nice. Only $200.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
STRR

Post by STRR »

If you purchase Pittsburgh PRO tools, the steel is very comparable to high quality supplier's tools.

If you are buying for a single use or very limited uses, most of their stuff will work. For some of us who demand more of our tools, we need to evaluate the price vs. quality factors keeping safety first in mind.

Jacks and jack stands? When my life depends on one of these, I am going to be very careful in what I choose. I know there are many people who are very satisfied with these but I haven't heard any reviews by someone who was injured. Is that good or bad? Does it mean there aren't any or does it mean they don't get published?
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I've never gotten anything but Chinese garbage there
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I've never gotten anything but Chinese garbage there
That may be true of your experience but can't be a general statement.
I have gotten some garbage and a lot of exceptional value.

One example are my two angle grinders 4.5" and 7"
I do not have the space for a power saw so I cut all my stock with the cut off wheel on the grinder
I have cut a lot of steel, paid $7 for the smaller and a comparable pittance for the 7"

Quality is getting better
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

hoppercar wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 am I've never gotten anything but Chinese garbage there
Maybe you have just been making poor choices?