socket wrench storage

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: socket wrench storage

Post by SteveHGraham »

For me, one of the big issues with small writing in the shop is that reading glasses always seem to get oil on them as soon as I put them on, and that reduces their effectiveness pretty badly. To fix the problem, you have to get up, drop what you're doing, find a paper towel and Windex, and so on, and it's really annoying if you're up on a ladder or under a truck.

The paint Sharpie works beautifully. Really surprised me. I can read the numbers a long way off, and the light doesn't have to be very good. I think orange nail polish would probably be easier and better, but for some reason I don't have any on hand.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

You have to have a certain cleaner and not a paper towel. Micro scratches everywhere.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:49 pm orange nail polish would probably be easier and better, but for some reason I don't have any on hand.
Don't be squeamish; just use whatever color you use for your nails.

I have some paint pens, I get them from an art supply shop in Amsterdam when I'm there.
Bought a spare as a gift for a friend with a tractor repair shop here in Portugal.
They write on anything, but stickiness varies.
spro

Post by spro »

As inconceivable as it became, all my stuff is in different tool bags. One thing or another but not complete in the one chest.
I hear you Liveaboard . We could detect a 9/16" from a 1/2" in a milisecond but a 17mm from a 5/8" or other ones..it is the fit towards the project. Sometimes it what fits because the the old nuts/bolts are worn down. MM fits and likely they will be replaced before you have to cut them off.
I have to think about this for a minute because these older bolts were of high quality.
Of course somebody used a metric or visversa. Head size isn't the end when the whole integrity of the threads are proper. I know we can get all kinds of bolts now. We speak about pitch diameter and there is more than that.
If somebody rounded off the head of the bolt, it means two things. It is up to us to know the reasons and some of these bolts will never be the same.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:49 amDon't be squeamish; just use whatever color you use for your nails.
:D

In America right now, you could be burned alive for making that joke! We're such snowflakes, a man here just lost a prime time TV slot for criticizing Chinese food.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Although I grew up in the US and was a car mechanic there, at this time I own no inch denominated tools at all.
I'm not saying there aren't any, but I haven't seen an imperial bolt since I left the US.
Ok, I have an inch micrometer than came with some other stuff and a 7/16" snapon wrench as a keepsake.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

When they gave up making tools in USA, the companies like Blackhawk, Armstrong and Hebrand sold the stock off at scrap iron prices. A local tool store sold the sockets by the bag. So now I need the rails to somewhat organize them. Some clip rails work well, others, they just fall off. 1/2" deep sockets, good luck.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers