Steam in Nashville

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Berkman

Re: Steam in Nashville

Post by Berkman »

Doubtful TVRM would want to use it on an excursion.... the only place to run is to summerville now that NS is out of the game. It is too big and less well suited to that trip than 4501.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I cant imagine them trying to take 576 down to Summerville.... That track was pretty rough last time I rode that trip and Im not sure the bridges could stand the extra weight. For just the locomotive sans tender, 576 outweighs 4501 by around 130,000lbs
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
630fireman

Post by 630fireman »

G&W and the state of Georgia have invested a lot in the C&C track. Track speeds are back up to where they were years back and rising. But for the trains we run mostly, 630 more than enough, but we have the 4501 running so it goes there, much better on those trips than the local, plus the stoker is nice. If the speeds were like 30, the 4501 would like it more, it doesn’t like to run slow.... 576 would look very out of place, I’m sure it would hate to run slow even more than 4501, but do remember this was the CG main into Chattanooga, the capacities of the bridges are not exactly for small locomotives. CG had similar size 4-8-4s, but not sure they ever ran here.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

630fireman wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:39 am G&W and the state of Georgia have invested a lot in the C&C track. Track speeds are back up to where they were years back and rising. But for the trains we run mostly, 630 more than enough, but we have the 4501 running so it goes there, much better on those trips than the local, plus the stoker is nice. If the speeds were like 30, the 4501 would like it more, it doesn’t like to run slow.... 576 would look very out of place, I’m sure it would hate to run slow even more than 4501, but do remember this was the CG main into Chattanooga, the capacities of the bridges are not exactly for small locomotives. CG had similar size 4-8-4s, but not sure they ever ran here.
Good to know about the track! I need to get back up there. I get it about running slow, Ive seen these little ones do the same thing. Trying to get them to go below a certain speed can be tricky
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Curious what the speed limit is on the Summerville trip ? and what it will be eventually raised to ?
630fireman

Post by 630fireman »

20mph. The condition of the track continue to get better, but the operating rules limit us to restricted speed (20mph + ability to stop in 1/2 range of vision, whole Railroad is technically operated as being in yard limits). But the track has now improved to where we can run 15-20 without throwing the dishes off shelves in the dining car. But we typically run 12-15 based on how the dining service is going.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Attachments
576a.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

You don't see that everyday! Cool!
Fender

Post by Fender »

Originally, the move was scheduled to begin at 7:00 AM. Then, a few days ago, this was changed to be 9:00 AM. But they actually started at 7:00, which is exactly what I expected to happen!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

did they get it back on rail yet?

JB
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I think it's resting on the trailer tonight.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

When are they going to get it back down on the rail? I heard that it would be a while before it was towed to the museum where restoration would begin. Glad that it is finally on it's way.