Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

jamesjgould

Re: Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

Post by jamesjgould »

Hope you can keep the price reasonable. Looking forward to seeing what U have to offer.
0-4-0
4-6-0
4-4-2
4-4-0
2-6-0(2)
5 batt elec
44 cars rolling stock
2400' 7 1/2" track
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

SPSteam2491 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:39 pm
Mr. Ron to answer your question, the end use will be up to the builder if he wants to carry people. I use my reefer car for hauling my air brake equipment and other tools needed to run my steam engine but I could also ride on the roof of the car if I needed to.
Thank you for your reply.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
jamesjgould

Post by jamesjgould »

Wives do have a way of coming first. Been there, done that. lol !
0-4-0
4-6-0
4-4-2
4-4-0
2-6-0(2)
5 batt elec
44 cars rolling stock
2400' 7 1/2" track
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

I would be interested in the 1" scale
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
jamesjgould

Post by jamesjgould »

What's the status ?
0-4-0
4-6-0
4-4-2
4-4-0
2-6-0(2)
5 batt elec
44 cars rolling stock
2400' 7 1/2" track
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Waiting on a call from the supplier for the prototype. I was hoping for one last week but just talked to them this morning and he said he is getting it cut this week.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Picked up the prototype on Friday. I will be building up the prototype this week and document the build process here. I will release the pricing of the kits once the prototype is completed.

For the 1" scale cars, I have planned that the prototype parts will be completed by mid February and will start the construction of that car shortly after.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

The assembly of the car begin with the main structure; sides, floor, and ends. These pieces are cut from 12mm Baltic Birch Plywood and help to give the car its strength. The pieces are tabbed together to cut assembly time down and to also add strength to the joints. The ends are cut so that they can only be installed one way preventing incorrect assembly.
Step 1.jpg
Step 2.jpg
In the past I put the grooves directly into the sides but I found that grooving one side of the plywood causes it to "taco" and add unnecessary material and time to get the sides to straighten out. Because of this, the skin of the car is cut from 1/4" MDF to which the grooves are cut into it.
Exterior.jpg
Although it requires a lot of glue to attach to the sides it helps to eliminate two problems:
Warping of the sides.
Multiple layers of paint to remove the wood grain.
For the modeler who wants to create the car with individual sides to really simulate tongue and groove siding, you could not use the MDF sides and glue the individual strips directly to the main structure. At this time I won't be offering the individual boards but will offer just the main structure to be able to purchase.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

After a dry fit up make sure everything fits and to give an idea of how the parts go together, it is time to glue. I used TiteBond III and the car will see use outside. Prior to gluing, I traced a line down the sides for where the middle of the floor with meet the sides and ends. This line will assist in driving in brad nails during glue up in addition to clamping.
Step 3.jpg
I also drilled a hole for a #6 wood screw to better clamp the end to the floor. A long clamp could also be used in place of a screw.
Step 4.jpg
After gluing all the mating surfaces, you end up with something that starts to look like a reefer.
Step 5.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Once the glue is set, the car can be flipped over and the under detail can be applied. I should note that the production models will look a little different from the prototype. I will explain that when some of the last detail parts are applied.
Step 6.jpg
The pieces come with all the notches in them so no dado set is needed.
Step 7.jpg
I dry fit the pieces, marked where the pieces ended up, then started gluing them in. I placed 1¼" brad nails at every intersection to insure the pieces were tight to the floor.
Step 8.jpg
These parts help to add some realism to the car and will also help position the "I-beams" that are under the car. (More on that later)
At this point, the glue needs to dry and the sides should be given a quick sanding to knock off any glue on the outside. Then the grooved sides and ends can be glued on.

Tomorrow, I will show how the roof goes together. Please feel free to ask questions if you have any. :)
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

I'm looking forward to how you attach trucks and couplers ... and of course the rest of the build.
I'm interested in a 1.5-in. scale version.
Andy
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Now, that's cool. I can't wait to get a basic kit. Will there be an alternate price for not including a MDF skin?