New York Central Streamlined Hudson

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Trainman4602

Re: New York Central Streamlined Hudson

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi jack
I preparing to re paint my K4 will this OSPHO work on brass?
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
senorgilamonster

Post by senorgilamonster »

OSPHO is Phosphoric Acid - please use proper precautions. http://www.ospho.com/images/Ospho%20SDS_new.pdf

I'll let the experts chime in, but I wold be doubtful that you would want to use it on brass that you care about.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
To answer Trainman's question, yes I use Ospho on brass. It cleans it up nicely and, I have been using it for years. Then a coat of self etching primer and you are good to go.
Have a great day.
Jack
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Thanks Jack
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Been a while since any photos of the Hudson were posted. It's just about finished up and it will be handed off to Doug the owner who is building the tender. Here is a shot of the back head, turret, and cylinder cock operating valve. Aren't those angle union valves beautiful, Barry made some really exquisite locomotive jewelry didn't he. The cylinder cock valve is just inside the roof opening when the center section is removed. This valve is quick acting and the internals use a rotary valve much like my brake valves. The insulation on the piping, which builders have asked about before is cloth friction tape that is sold for wrapping tool handles. The water glasses are old Railroad Supply simulated reflex glasses. I like these water glasses as they can be back lit, which you can't do with actual reflex glasses. They both have their advantages. You will notice that there are no elbows in the piping. Elbows were seldom used in engine cabs except when really necessary. Most often bends were done with the pipe bender and a lot of unions were used. I have had old timers say that you could tell if an engine came from Baldwin or Lima just by looking at the piping in the cab. The Lima engines were always neater. The cab is still a little bare, no pressure gauges, lighting, or brake piping. I'll have some more photos soon.
Jack
Attachments
Back Head.jpg
Turret.jpg
Cyl.Cock.jpg
Short Line Tom

Post by Short Line Tom »

Outstanding work!
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Tom
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Wow, fantastic work!
-Frank K.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Your work is looking so precise, clean and authentic - nearly unbelieveable :!: ! When finished, the cab could be used as a living room for enthusiasts 8) . Like your exceptionel precise piping and nice sheet work!
By the way I experienced some isues regarding those fine looking valves once made by super scale. Their valve shafts are pretty rough thus the tiny stuffing boxes are prone to leak :roll: . For my A every single valve had to be smoothed and get a new package made of Teflon.
Hope that's not regular yet, for I got the valves long ago from another life steamer, who bought them 20 jears ago :?: .
Carry on!
Asteamhead
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

We just got home from a visit to Jack's shop and this locomotive is something that has to be seen in person to fully appreciate. Even the best photos do not completely reveal the level of detail and perfection in this piece. I've seen museum pieces that do not rise to this level.

Asteamhead: Barry Hauge, the man behind SuperScale, was a perfectionist to a fault. If those valves were absolutely new, it would be quite surprising. He machined every part himself and did not trust inspection or assembly to anyone.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm Hello My Friends
Been a while since any photos of the Hudson were posted. It's just about finished up and it will be handed off to Doug the owner who is building the tender. Here is a shot of the back head, turret, and cylinder cock operating valve. Aren't those angle union valves beautiful, Barry made some really exquisite locomotive jewelry didn't he. The cylinder cock valve is just inside the roof opening when the center section is removed. This valve is quick acting and the internals use a rotary valve much like my brake valves. The insulation on the piping, which builders have asked about before is cloth friction tape that is sold for wrapping tool handles. The water glasses are old Railroad Supply simulated reflex glasses. I like these water glasses as they can be back lit, which you can't do with actual reflex glasses. They both have their advantages. You will notice that there are no elbows in the piping. Elbows were seldom used in engine cabs except when really necessary. Most often bends were done with the pipe bender and a lot of unions were used. I have had old timers say that you could tell if an engine came from Baldwin or Lima just by looking at the piping in the cab. The Lima engines were always neater. The cab is still a little bare, no pressure gauges, lighting, or brake piping. I'll have some more photos soon.
Jack

jack I noticed there is an oil flow valve in the cab, is this dreyfuss gonna be oil fired?
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

otherwise she is looking great, beautiful work
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Yes the Hudson will be oil fired. Doug, the owner wanted it so.
Jack