magnetic parallels / transfer blocks

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

magnetic parallels / transfer blocks

Post by SteveM »

I see magnetic parallels that are alternating stacked plates of brass and steel, and I see some that are blocks of brass with steel pins in them.

Any difference between the two types?

Steve
Wolfgang

Re: magnetic parallels / transfer blocks

Post by Wolfgang »

SteveM wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:02 pm I see magnetic parallels that are alternating stacked plates of brass and steel, and I see some that are blocks of brass with steel pins in them.

Any difference between the two types?

Steve
To use the parallel plate blocks the plates must be aligned parallel with the poles on the chuck. Thus you can use 4 surfaces of the block for contact with the chuck and work piece.

The block with pins may be used in any direction as long as the pinned surface is in contact with the chuck and the work. This type is also much easier to make yourself.

I suspect that the parallel plates block has the higher holding strength with a given chuck and work piece when properly employed. w