Little machine shop

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Tom Miller

Little machine shop

Post by Tom Miller »

Hello,
I am considering purchasing a 3595 lathe and 5550 mill from Little Machine Shop in Pasadena Ca. I visited them recently and had a chance to see and touch both machines in person. I am an experienced machinist and just sold my Hardinge HLVH and Lagun with a Prototrak CNC add on. I realize neither of the machines I am considering will contend with what I had. I will be making small projects like Stuart engines and possibly an IC type project. No more large 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" steam locomotives. Does anyone out there have experience with either of these machines? I have looked at Jet, Grizzley and Baileigh machines too.
Thanks,
Tom Miller
Glenn Brooks

Re: Little machine shop

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Tom, Iam not familiar with the lathe or mill they carry. However my experience with them is their service and customer responsiveness is top notch - including a very positive return policy. Also it seems they concentrate on stocking and selling top of the line, small machining products. So anything they sell is likely a very capable product. And if not, they do everything they can to make it right.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Tom1948

Post by Tom1948 »

I have found them very good to deal with. I dont own thier lathes or mills but they give good service on thier parts and equipment line.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Good experiences here.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I met Chris at Cabin Fever a few years ago. Got to see some of his products.

The milling vises looked very well made and finished, a step up from what seems to be the norm for import vises.

Steve