Bandsaw tires

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Bandsaw tires

Post by Mr Ron »

Are you cutting wood only or also metal (aluminum). I cut aluminum with my BS and the aluminum chips get embedded into the tire. I have urethane tires and after a while, the tire broke up from the chips.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
spro

Post by spro »

There are ways we mount a brush or two.
spro

Post by spro »

It had my whits about it, I would have looked at the way that round wire brushes are made. The shank/ wires are spiral. A section mounted into a bearing holder would spin and extract the chips to the side.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't know how well it works, but my vertical saw (used for wood) came with a brush from the factory.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:53 pm Are you cutting wood only or also metal (aluminum). I cut aluminum with my BS and the aluminum chips get embedded into the tire. I have urethane tires and after a while, the tire broke up from the chips.
I plan on cutting both metal and wood.

I saw one of the bandsaw tire dealers had a brush to clean off the blade.

First think I thought when I saw it was the brush on the rubber band of a VanDeGraff generator. I can picture my hair standing on end while running the saw.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Steve writes:
First think I thought when I saw it was the brush on the rubber band of a VanDeGraff generator.
I can picture my hair standing on end while running the saw.

Can't happen. The brush touches the steel blade which is conductive and so won't carry a static charge and the blade is also electrically connected to the frame of the machine via the guides.

A stiff brush running against each tire to remove any metal that reaches them might improve tire life, though. Blade cleaning brushes wear out fast for obvious reasons. I would think an air blast would work better.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

spro wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:45 pm There are ways we mount a brush or two.
I have a brush on the bottom wheel, but aluminum chips still get embedded in the tire. As the wheel rotates, chips get carried down between the tire and blade and get pretty much embedded.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
spro

Post by spro »

I think there is a better way to brush. Even a small wheel wire brush, mounted to a bearing arbor. Angled +-45 * the brush will spin and remove more chips from the wheels.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

spro wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:14 pm I think there is a better way to brush. Even a small wheel wire brush, mounted to a bearing arbor. Angled +-45 * the brush will spin and remove more chips from the wheels.
Veddy interesting!

(I'm probably old when I realize that most of you won't get that reference).

Steve
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

spro

Post by spro »

I got it and also repulsed by the demeaning. I learned a lot by this tire thread. I searched and found nearly ever design of blade brush. They are really used these days, for reasons we mentioned long ago.
spro

Post by spro »

There was a time when I wound friction tape on the wheels. The wheels are 1" wide and tape 3/4" . The tape is wound ccw. It presented a crown to the wheel and all was adjusted so that the teeth rode forward of that crown. The saw used that system for a while.