finding steel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lewayne

finding steel

Post by Lewayne »

Where do you fine steel for projects? What do I look under for souses.I'm in Houston Tx.
spro

Re: finding steel

Post by spro »

Sources. Use the search here of steel or metal sources. You can also go to ebay and find the particular type that you want. Then you can find the source in your area if you narrow the search. I think that you may be looking for "cut offs" or smaller sections.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Some steel distributors have remnants; also known as cutoffs or drops - sometimes at discount prices. Also look for recycling companies or scrap dealers.
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

Is there some sort of guide for finding the right type of steel for a project ?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com

https://www.onlinemetals.com

Both businesses provide mail order metals, have multiple locations across the USA,
and their websites have lots of info on alloy characteristics to help you make decisions.
And you can ask questions of this community for recommendations.
~RN
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

Thanks for the reply. I deal with metal supermarkets here in town. But mostly I have been buying aluminum from them for the silver streak trailer I've been restoring.I haven't looked that hard at their steel selections.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I found e-bay a good and competitive source. They offer short pieces rather than the 6 or 12 feet standard length and package for the most economic shipping which is included.
Once on e-bay web, the best way to look for is search for Aluminum stock 6061 or 2024 or 4340 or something like the Metal + grade
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I visit a steel supplier, I find Steel.
Most are becoming more amenable to selling off-cuts and leftovers. The trick is to keep in mind that you're only a tiny part of their turnover and your business isn't worth any inconvenience at all to them.
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

Here's a source in Houston I use from time to time.

http://www.housteel.com/

Ask for Rick, tell him that Ken sent you, and maybe he will give you a good price on a piece of material. They do have renmits but its hit and miss on sizes. They don't allow rumenging thru their dumpster. They do credit card sales and can pickup in person or for a shipping charge ship it to you. Steel is pricey regardless where you buy from. I've also had good service with Speedy Metals up north for shorter length materials. I usually buy several sizes in either 3 foot or 4 foot long to get the best UPS shipping rate for the amount of steel I buy. I do keep a small stock pile of steel here at my place for my needs and I don't mind sharing if you need something and I have it on hand. I have cast iron G-2 DuraBar on hand too.

Ken
Ken
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

We have a local supplier, Logan Steel (in Meriden and Torrington, CT), that has the "bargain barn" where the drops are located.

When I say "drops", I don't mean pieces 6" long - they can be several feet.

I need a 3-1/4" diameter steel bar for an overarm, and they have it cheaper than anyone and I don't have to pay for delivery.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I've also been very satisfied with Speedy Metals. Since they are just on the other side of Wisconsin from me I can get 2nd day delivery from them via Spee-Dee Delivery (you have to place the order by phone and request Speed-Dee) for about half of what UPS would charge for their regular ground rate. Unfortunately Spee-Dee only serves the upper Midwest. Elsewhere you will be stuck with UPS.