Disney American

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

10 Wheeler Rob

Re: Disney American

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

What gage will this be?
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

You can get flat low temperature silver bearing solder. The stuff I have is .250" x .004. Sometimes that is the solution to soldering small parts. Mine came from Ebay, Vulcan's Workshop.
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

10 Wheeler Rob wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:13 pm What gage will this be?
Rob, Gage? 7.5 inch. 16 gauge top. What are you asking?
Dave Dalton
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are some tool boxes that were made for the tender. Lots of square head nuts and bolts.
Jack
Attachments
IMG_5912.jpg
IMG_5913.jpg
sabin

Post by sabin »

Hi Jack. Those are swell little boxes. I assume you make your own square nut/bolts. What are those pretty little tools all in a row in the background?
Jim
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you for the compliment Jim. You are correct, all the little square head fasteners were made here in the shop. The row of tools in the back ground are my WIHA nut drivers. When Martin Becker had Coles, (before he sadly passed away at far too young an age) he had WIHA make up special sets for Coles. The sets had 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 5/32", 4.5MM, 3/16", 7/32", and 1/4". The cool part about these sets was the 4.5MM, which fits the heads of our #4-40 model bolts. Nowadays, as far as I know this special set is not available so you must buy an entire set of metric nut drivers just to get the 4.5MM driver. I also have them color coded. Red for #5-40, yellow for #4-40, blue for #3-48, green for #2-56, white for #1-72, and plain for #0-80 model bolts. I also have two sets of them. One set is packed up with little bits of paper towel so a model bolt or nut will set right in the very end of the driver. If not, when you try to start a short screw or a nut it would slide back into the driver, this can be really irritating.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
optigman

Post by optigman »

McMaster Carr sells individual 4.5MM nut drivers for about $10 each.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I bought a set of eight WIHA drivers along with a separate 4.5mm within the last six months or so. I think from Amazon. My recollection is that there was more than one set offered so make sure you get the right one.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for the info on the nut drivers. The WIHA set is very nice and it's good to know it's still available.
Jack
Grant J

Post by Grant J »

Jack,
I read about how you modified the eccentric straps to allow shimming. On my engine the plan indicates the centre of the strap to the centre of the pin where it connects to the expansion link should be 4-3/4”. I thought I would build a jig, set each arm and strap in it then drill and tap the fastening holes. Do you think this will work?
Grant
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
There should always be some adjustability. Even if you get the straps and blades perfect, there will always be some errors somewhere else. I don't like blades that are bolted to the side of the strap. Adjustment of them is hap hazard, and if they work loose they will wallow out the slot in the strap and make re setting them difficult. The method shown in this thread is very positive. Once set they will not move. Adjustment is precise using shims. Usually only one strap and blade will need a shim, the shortest one. Many prototypes used this method. It works for me.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a little trinket you might like. This is the 1870's era Westingouse brake valve. It operates like my other brake valves with detent located positions for release, lap, service application, and emergency. It has a little bronze hairpin sort of spring for the detents instead of a spring loaded plunger in the handle as in the other brake valves. The detent ring is hardened steel. All castings are investment cast bronze. Valve disc is cast iron operating on an aluminum bronze surface. Main reservoir and brake cylinder line connections are 3/16" model pipe threads. The connection for the brake cylinder pressure gauge is 1/16" with a 1/16" union. I will be providing some 1" diameter pressure gauges with 1/16" connections and unions as is fitted up on Georges engine. These valves only work with air, not steam. I may be making some brake valves for steam if there is enough interest. A steam brake valve is basically off or on as steam will condense and won't hold a set like air will. I am just finishing up the painting and assembly of the tender and will have some photos soon.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Attachments
1870 Westinghouse.jpg