Rotary table Lubrication

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toolroom

Rotary table Lubrication

Post by toolroom »

I just purchased a new rotary table. It has "oil ports" on it. The movement is astoundingly smooth in both forward and reverse. I have contacted the factory but [obviously] they do not speak any other language other than their own. I have read, in forums how so many have purchased "off shore" tables and had to tear them completely down and clean, and replace bearings. but I do not know what torque specification to torquethe nut to and If I can even find replacement bearings. What would I use to pump into the oil ports? Way lube seems too heavy, and light oil would just drip into the housing.
Should I just "suck it up," and throw this in the dumpster, and purchase a [quality] U.S, made unit, and not worry about lube?
SteveHGraham

Re: Rotary table Lubrication

Post by SteveHGraham »

I use Vactra 2. Can't recall who told me to do that; may have been a response from Phase II.

My table does not have bearings on it. Are you sure yours does?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've never seen a rotab with "bearings". All I've seen are a "plain bearing" design. I've got a Troyke, and I use Vactra as well. However, if you have a V/H, and try to fill a "reservoir", don't expect it to be without mess in V mode. The oiling in these things, even premium name, leaves a bit to be desired. I expect it's intended as a "full loss" system much like a mill spindle, intended to keep things flushed out.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have a 12" older Enco that has a bearing in it. I replaced it when I acquired the table. The PO had used coolant and it was production shop, so it needed some love, but for 50 bucks, I couldn't complain. I use Vactra 2 in it also. They were getting rid of it and a 14" adjustable angle plate for 50 bucks for the pair. The entire shop was full of CNC machines and I think this may have been the last of their manual machine tooling. I told the guy I would double the asking price if he would hold it for me, and he agreed. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Thanks to Steve, BadDog, and Patio. Yes, the instruction manual shows the exploded view, and there are two plain bearings one top under table and the other on the bottom housing held by the nut. True, its no Troyke (lust, lust) but for my purposes, it should do, until it wears out. It is not oil filled. By the way Patio, I followed along on your Pan rebuild but don't remember how it turned out. Are you riding it?
Again, thanks to everyone!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

toolroom--

I use Harley Davidson fork oil in my 10" Phase II.

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I wonder which one leaks worse? :wink: :lol: 8)
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

BadDog--

The Phase II! My FIRST hog leaked a LOT more, but it was a 1954 brute.

--Bill
You are what you write.
pete

Post by pete »

Since way oil is designed specifically for sliding surfaces and it's a low rpm and load situation I just use Vactra no. 2 also. My older Vertex 6" has one needle roller bearing in it. They later changed that to plain cast iron sleeve bearings. Mine used some type of grease from the factory for the worm and wheel. Unless it's a properly designed and sealed R/T meant to be used half full of oil, then random when you remember to do so oiling seems to work well enough. I disassembled and washed mine out after buying it. There was hardly any grinding grit in it, but enough I still think it was worth doing. I don't know the torque on that nut either. It's meant to hold the table together obviously, but also remove any axial movement between the table surface and the base casting. Get it too tight and it can start to be felt with the hand wheel and you'll vastly increase the wear. If I remember correctly I used maybe a 1/8th- 1/4 of a turn past finger tight and it seems ok. That was about what mine had when I pulled it apart. Gently prying up between the base casting and the table with an indicator tip on the table will show if that preload nut isn't tight enough.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I cleaned mine out when I got it too. It was a 12" V/T, and had mill chips inside. But the way (bearing) surface was pristine. I remember getting the Troyke manual at the time, but I don't recall any spec for the lower retainer. It was basically "snug no play".
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

IIRC, I think my Phase II RT said to use hydraulic oil. I'll have to look tomorrow.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"