Tom bee

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Tom bee

Post by hoppercar »

Is tom bee still in business?....I been waiting weeks on a small order, and get no response to emails or calls ?
FLSTEAM

Re: Tom bee

Post by FLSTEAM »

He was at the Florida meets....

JB
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Aaaaahhhh..ok, thanks
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I ordered some couplers recently and it took two months to arrive. His assistant (a woman whose name I don't have handy) frequently said that they would be shipped "next week." After getting that response 3-4 times, I stopped asking. Then they showed up.

They are great couplers by the way.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Bridget and Marcel have both been very responsive to me on both the phone and email. My last small order took about 6 weeks, which I'd put in the category 'normal to better than average live steam supplier lead time'.
John Brock
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I just ordered a pair of couplers last week and got a prompt response. Hopefully it doesn't take 2 months to get them!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I bought some Tom Bee couplers last year that arrived quite quickly and were nice quality. I think the "arctic cyclone" might be causing a lot of shipping and freight delays. Thankfully I'm able to use the two I have to mock up everything so my build progress doesn't have to come to a stop.
theg8nw

Post by theg8nw »

I was told by Bridget 2 week delivery, It has been 67 day so far and I have heard several times "shipping next week" "next week or two" "waiting on side frames"

Still waiting for the truck to be delivered..

What is the connection between Tom and Bridget ? Are they a resaler, or taking over or what?

last time I ordered from Tom delivery was much better.

I wonder if Tom knows this kind of stuff is happening?
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

theg8nw wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:57 am I wonder if Tom knows this kind of stuff is happening?
If he doesn't, and he's not responsible, he should be informed. And if he is aware, and that's how he prefers to conduct business, buyers should be informed. No one deserves to pay for goods that can't, and maybe won't, be delivered. Might be a good idea for buyers to include penalty clauses in a purchase, whereby missed delivery dates are grounds for a penalty. Might give the supplier a reason to be more forthright with the customer.

While I haven't been involved in the purchase of any model railroad supplies, I have been involved in numerous business transactions. I can think of nothing that creates distrust and disrespect for anyone offering goods for sale than to provide lip service. If items can't be delivered immediately, the buyer should be so informed, with an honest promise date, one that is kept, not just used to buy time. The buyer should then be given the opportunity to cancel, or accept the terms by which the items would be provided. To provide goods and/or services by any lesser terms is a blatant display of one's lack of character. I don't want to do business with people like that. Who does :?:

Rant off, and it should be noted that that's my philosophy. Others may have varying mileage. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I've purchased from Tom a number of times over the years and have never had any concerns. My most recent purchase was a set of wheels, which transaction we carried out over the phone. I mailed Tom a check and he shipped me some wheels. From the time I spoke to him about the wheels until I had possession of them was around a week.

I don't know who this Bridget is, but do know that Tom enlisted some help in running things. Perhaps she's a bit overwhelmed with the demand for product.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
theg8nw

Post by theg8nw »

Finally received my trucks 73 days after ordering. A far cry from the 2 weeks I was promised. I hope for Toms sake they get their issues resolved.
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I thought sometime after the triennial Tom Bee sold his business to a new owner. I even think I remember an announcement from him in this regard. Am I thinking of somebody else??
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....