Teeter Totter finger for dial indicator

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Builder01

Teeter Totter finger for dial indicator

Post by Builder01 »

I'm not really sure if that's what you call it, or, what it is called. I am looking to get another one of these handy items that is used with a dial indicator. What is this called and where can I get another? I have searched Ebay with no results.
DSCN1878 - reduced.jpg
DSCN1879 - reduced.jpg
Thanks!
David
earlgo

Re: Teeter Totter finger for dial indicator

Post by earlgo »

Starrett has 2 different models in their catalog and they are called "Indicator Attachments". #670 and #671 series. As you know they are used to reach inside a hole using a standard Dial Indicator.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

How many do you want? I have several of the Starrett items earlgo has described...doubt i will live long enough to wear any of them out.

bshields at mehrs dot com
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
spro

Post by spro »

I would think these attachments fit to specific DI. I'm not sure a Starrett would fit perfectly on an NSK. If the clamping is at all wrong, it wouldn't represent the actual travel.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

spro wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:51 pm I would think these attachments fit to specific DI. I'm not sure a Starrett would fit perfectly on an NSK. If the clamping is at all wrong, it wouldn't represent the actual travel.
As long as the clamp fits your rod, it should work.

The arm is the same length on each side, and the bracket holds the indicator centered over the proper spot on the lever.

This is generally used as a relative measurement tool, and in that capacity it's not important that it read the correct dimension, but that it reads zero when you are indicating a part.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Measure the shank...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I just checked on ebay UK, only found a few and they were in the US.
And expensive.
Maybe they're known by a different term in UK.
If anyone knows the German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese term...
Patio

Post by Patio »

Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Yes, those are the ones I saw; in the US and expensive. + $17 postage too.
Then it will be stuck in customs until I submit paperwork that doesn't exist and pay 50% duty on the total inc. shipping.
It seems like a nice simple thing, but it's much cheaper to buy a new lever type dial indicator.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I believe the Starrett designs will only work with a Starrett button type indicator. I will have to measure the diameter on my indicator plunger end, but I think with that type of indicator, the diameter is pretty standard as the attachment will fit on all of my indicators.

On the Ebay listing, the U.K. attachments are actually all located in the U.S. There should be no "paper work" or duty taxes. The last one listed is from Connecticut and shipping was free. For the others, the shipping was only $5. It looked like it was the only non-Starrett type with a clamp like mine. I did not think any of these were particularly expensive. I can certainly see that shipping to Portugal might be more problematic than to a place in the U.S.

I have never used mine to indicate from a small hole. I usually use it to indicate from inside a groove, where a regular indicator cannot get to. Or also, to indicate on the thin edge of something where the body of a regular indicator will be in the way. My dial test indicator usually has the dial facing in a direction that makes it difficult to read!

Thank you for the offer Bill! I think the Starrett type will not do what I need. By the way, I am working from your drawings of the smaller Van Brocklin type steam pump, finally!

Thanks Guys! I will use some the new search words you have offered.

David
SLK001

Post by SLK001 »

Builder01 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 am I believe the Starrett designs will only work with a Starrett button type indicator...
Not true... The Starrett attaches to any indicator that meets AGD standards, which is almost all made worldwide today. Even the Chinese guages have a 0.375" shank (neck), so with these, you should be good-to-go.
SLK001

Post by SLK001 »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:30 pm How many do you want? I have several of the Starrett items earlgo has described...doubt i will live long enough to wear any of them out.

bshields at mehrs dot com
Bill, I'm interested in some of these. I sent you an email at your mehrs account last night.