Fix my Generator

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: Fix my Generator

Post by NP317 »

Living in Chain-Saw Territory here in northern Oregon, alcohol-free gas is available at multiple locations.
We have to pay ~ $3.50/gallon, but it's available...
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I never would have believed that a dry carb could get clogged, but I suppose that's what happened.

I know of a Sunoco that sells real gasoline. I guess I need to start buying my gas there.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Every station around here has alcohol-free premium. I use premium in my old Farmalls because they need the higher octane, but I've seen no evidence that the alcohol does any harm. My chainsaw, lawnmower, and Ford 8N don't seem to care (the 8N will run on anything, though.)
Last edited by John Hasler on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Before you store it next time:

Drain the auto fuel, dump in a gallon of Avgas, run it for a couple of minutes, or of it has a fuel shut off, run it until it quits and then drain out the Avgas.

The next time you need it, dump in some auto gas and it will start right up.

Avgas doesn't eat things or form any type of varnish that plugs things up.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I was under the general impression that I could get 100LL at the local Deer Valley airport, but just called and no, they do not sell to the public. The fuel tanks/trucks are just for airport use. Lady I talked to confirmed that she knew of no options for ethanol free gas other than some of the very small regional airports operating well outside Phoenix. So even at 100LL prices, not an option here. We don't all work on an airport. :lol: :P

Too bad I'm not still flying. I could just go rent a ride and do a couple dozen fuel checks, problem solved. 8)
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
TomB

Post by TomB »

Here in VT I can get the lead free gas from one gas station chain (Stewarts), but I have found I can buy quart or gallon cans of lead free with 0, 40 or 50 mixed oil added at Lowes, Home Depot or the Huskavara(sic) dealer. The cans are stabilized so the engines all start after sitting in the shed throughout the winter (Nov to May and way below 0 F). The price for cans is high comparted to car gas but I don't like to work on small engines so when one does not start I have to take it to the shop and that tends to cost $100+. Avoiding that bill easily pays for the added cost of the cans.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I really want to avoid paying $15 per gallon or whatever for canned gas, but this business with clogged carbs is annoying and expensive. Not sure what to do. I'm not a guy who cuts wood for two hours a year. I have a great deal of wood to clear out, and I would go through those little pre-mixed cans pretty fast.

I hope that if I start using real gas instead of government-boondoggle-vote-buying ethanol, my engines will quit acting up. I plan to visit Sunoco.

On another note, I noticed that the documentation for Sea Foam says it contains isopropanol and petroleum distillates. Wouldn't that be rubbing alcohol and mineral spirits or WD-40? Sea Foam isn't cheap. I think I paid nine bucks.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I was wrong about the availability of av-gas at the local airport, but as I recall, some of the performance arenas will have real gas more affordable than buying canned gas. There is a high performance (drag, etc) motorcycle shop downtown that lists real (high octane racing) gas without ethanol. And I'm told Thunderbird Raceway has it at or on track. But those are too far away (and not on any route I'm likely to take) for my modest small volume needs. I'm probably way ahead to buy "camp fuel" (Colman etc) in gallons rather than my current serial frustrations...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

This has again piqued my interest, and I needed a brief break/distraction. And you comment about Sunoco caught my attention as one of the place "down town" (S Phoenix, I'm N Phoenix, nearly 30 minutes by freeway with NO traffic!) I was told had good fuel.

So I called them to see if it was true. And as it turns out, it IS, and they sell to the public. The fella on the phone was very friendly and said they had a range of non-ethanol fuel in various octanes available in both leaded and unleaded. But it's not going to be at local Jippy Mart prices, figure in a range close to double going rate depending on selection...

For those in Phoenix:
Sunoco Racing Fuels
Address: 2845 W Broadway Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85041
Phone: (602) 276-9250

It's also not too terribly far from a good friend I almost never visit since moving up here (see 30 minutes with no traffic), so maybe I'll head down there in the next week or two with a gallon gas can in tow...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't know why the big Sunoco on the north end of Ocala sells real gas. It may be because this area is always jam-packed with running chainsaws and lawn equipment.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The Ethanol free gas still plugs up the idle jet leaving varnish through evaporation.

Been there, done that...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

In other news, it looks like Sea Foam may be a mix of isopropyl alcohol, naphtha, and refrigeration oil.