Pipe thread sealant?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

Pipe thread sealant?

Post by DianneB »

What do ya'll use for "pipe dope" on model size threaded steam pipes?

I used to use "Master's Metallic" compound on everything from full-size steam to models and it work 100% but it is hard to find now. I have tried all kinds of thread sealing products from many different outlets and they don't work worth road apples! :x The only thing I have that usually works is gasket shellac .....
Tim B Guenther

Re: Pipe thread sealant?

Post by Tim B Guenther »

Locktite 510 Flange sealant. I use it in place of gaskets and for the threads on small steam fittings.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

There have been threads on this here. Do a search and you'll come up with many suggestions.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I use regular engine anti seize. Seals up nicely plus makes things easy to remove later on.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

DianneB wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm What do ya'll use for "pipe dope" on model size threaded steam pipes?

I used to use "Master's Metallic" compound on everything from full-size steam to models and it work 100% but it is hard to find now. I have tried all kinds of thread sealing products from many different outlets and they don't work worth road apples! :x The only thing I have that usually works is gasket shellac .....
Oatey Teflon pipe sealant works well. If you use it be sure to thoroughly de-grease the mating parts.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I use 1/4" wide Teflon tape from McMaster Carr. Easier than putzing around with your 30c rolls of Teflon tape from the hardware store.

I always double check my fittings to ensure nothing gets inside a valve body, etc. and always keep the tape one thread shy of the end of the fitting. I think this helps keep the tape from getting inside whatever you're working on.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

just off the shelf red thread locker. works good and never had an issue with disassembly
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Permatex High Tack ( Red stuff) good on toast also. Any good auto parts store will carry it. :D
steamer
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I use Loctite 565 thread sealant.

Loctite 565 Controlled Strength Thread Sealant is formulated specifically for metal, tapered pipe thread fittings.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

And that's the problem with Loctite products: there are hundreds of them, each with a very specific purpose. Wonderful for manufacturing, but which ones should I stock in my home shop?
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:38 am And that's the problem with Loctite products: there are hundreds of them, each with a very specific purpose. Wonderful for manufacturing, but which ones should I stock in my home shop?
Hi John

I has at least 10 Loctite products I try to keep around the shop. But most people can get by with 3 or 4. It depends on what you are doing.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Blue threadlocker Loctitie or Permex. Easy to disassemble, easy to clean off during maintenance, always available on the road, won't break off like tape. Just one of the many methods you could use.
Matt Mason