Rubber forming, aka Guerin process

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Rubber forming, aka Guerin process

Post by whateg0 »

Looks good. That is one area where rigid forms excel, as they effectively planish out the tucks that are formed. Might not matter in this case, but I have at times had to do forming in steps, where the first step starts the part into the desired shape, then another form gets it closer, etc. More useful in deep drawing of parts, though.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I am going to need a number of assorted sizes and not too many of any one shape, so too many rigid forms is not enticing. The wood males are easy to make, not the females.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

You should be able to use a small rawhide mallet and work the wrinkles out bu holding the part over the form and tapping on them.

Then maybe another squeeze in the press to finalize them.

Using a soft hammer such as rawhide on the metal part against the wood former will shrink the wrinkles, using a steel hammer against a similar hard surface such as a steel dolly will stretch the metal. (basic version)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I have a nylon hammer, shot bag, dollies, and a few other goodies which I am using to clean them up. I just want to minimize the amount of finish work. The learning curve is improving.

Thanks for the comments.