3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:04 am Hello My Friends
Thanks for the info. I never knew there were different Baker gears. I was surprised to find that this engine has the wrong one. It runs so good that I don't think I will be changing it, although I am a bit disappointed as I want to build a very detailed model. Go with what you got :D
Jack
No one will ever know (except for everyone on this board, and their wives and children :wink: ).
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Adrian Buyse just jumped up in his grave!
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Steve Bratina wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:11 pm Bill. Look at my previous post, read once then repeat. Keith, if you punch up Richard Leonard's NYC web site, look at the 5243 and then the 5300. The Michigan Central engines actually had two styles of the flat baker frame. One we will call slab side and the other had an opening similar to the baker on the CNR 5700 class as built.
Steve, while different styles of gear frame....they are both long frames.
Short frame Baker gear is what is used on the NKP Berkshires and switch engines.
Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Check the baker bracket on a rebuilt 5200 class engine. Now go to a 8200 class engine. Finally look at the 5344. See any difference?

other than a brain, I guess I am really missing are the pictures of the locos to which you are referring, and a picture of what is in Jack's loco..

I am familiar with the general frame outlines used from one Baker loco to another..but as Keith mentioned, they are all long frame and took the same 'guts' since the pin locations were all the same.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

OK. We will just leave it at that.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

what...with my missing brain..a FINE WAY to leave things....giggle....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks everyone for the comments. I always enjoy when you all join in. I looked at the photo of 5344 that is hanging on the wall and the valve gear looks just like what is on the little Hudson. I guess I was just confused, not a rare condition for an old Bozo like me :lol: So back to work, the smoke box outer ring and center door are made. I'll have some photos next time. Next up, smoke box door dogs, headlamp bracket, Handrail stanchions, and probably the stack and auxiliary stack. Anyone out there have a drawings of the handrail stanchions? That's one I don't have, I'll be making masters and having these parts investment cast.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have a page full of hand rails from 1941 loco cyclopedia: page 512 if you have same.

"9 designs of Hand Rail Columns, submitted 1925, report of AAR committee on loco design'
age is right...doubt that NYCRR designed anything special for Hudson in this area.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

I agree with Bill but I think I have what you need, I just need to look thru hundreds(thousands?) of files!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for the info. I looked in the 1941 Loco Cyclopedia as Bill suggested and found what I needed. They are type #2 on that page. Now to the size of the handrail. If they were scale, they would be 1/16" dia. That's just too small to be practical. I think they would just be too delicate so I will be using 3/32" tube. Then a wire can be run inside to the headlamp and class lamps. One wire down the engineers side and one down the fireman's side. On the Nickel plate Berkshres I have built, the scale handrail would have been 1/8" but in most cases I used 3/16" tube, which could accommodate 2 wires. To my eye the 1/8" tube just looked too small. Now back to the small Hudson. The Lionel Hudson (which influenced my decision to build this model) had stainless handrails and I always liked that. The prototype most likely had steel handrails painted black . I have thought about using stainless and leaving them bright. What are your thoughts on this? Your opinions are most welcome.
Jack
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

JBodenmann wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 am . The prototype most likely had steel handrails painted black . I have thought about using stainless and leaving them bright. What are your thoughts on this? Your opinions are most welcome.
Jack
First and foremost....it is YOUR locomotive so you should do whatever you think looks best. I have always looked upon these little locomotives not only as mechanical things.....but also art. And the artist should always make their art as they see it and not as a slavish copy.

Keith