New to me Taft Pierce #1 surface grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

New to me Taft Pierce #1 surface grinder

Post by whateg0 »

I'm excited to say I picked up a surface grinder this weekend. Like the mill, there's no room for it in the shop yet, so it went into the storage unit. I modified my bigger engine hoist, putting fixed casters on it so it was easier to move. Between that and the pallet jack, it was a cinch to move the 1500# beast around.
20190504_221633_sm.jpg
20190504_224429_cr.jpg
Can't wait to get this and the mill in and running!

Dave
BadDog

Re: New to me Taft Pierce #1 surface grinder

Post by BadDog »

Nice! If not clapped out, that is a primo grinder for it's capacity. I wish mine were half the machine, but mine is in good shape, was cheap, has a built in vacuum system, and does a good job for me, so I'll just admire from afar.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

From what I could tell, this guy took good care of his machinery. Hard to tell how worn the machine is yet, and I don't know if I'm smart enough to tell if it is anyway. This guy is a tool guy at some big factory, I believe, so I don't think he'd have it if it was.

Dave
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I have the same model grinder. I did get some documentation on line, not much. I would be happy to share.
On mine everything is as smooth as glass except the Z axis feed. The documentation I have shoes pictures of the parts but very little of how things fit together. I really don,t have any idea where to look for the binding in Z unless the ball races were set to tight. I would appreciate any input you can give.
John
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

johnfreese wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:42 pm I have the same model grinder. I did get some documentation on line, not much. I would be happy to share.
On mine everything is as smooth as glass except the Z axis feed. The documentation I have shoes pictures of the parts but very little of how things fit together. I really don,t have any idea where to look for the binding in Z unless the ball races were set to tight. I would appreciate any input you can give.
John
PM sent