Darkening / "bluing" brass?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Darkening / "bluing" brass?

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I have a small gauge 1 live steam engine that uses sprockets, gears, and chain... all of which are brass. I don't want to stand out as shiny, but paint likely wont stick to them (especially after they are greased and the engine has been run a bit). For steel, gun blue would probably be perfect. Is there anything that might work for brass that won't readily flake off or add much thickness to the parts but which will tone down the shine?

Thanks.
BAGRS steam engine.JPG
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Greg_Lewis

Re: Darkening / "bluing" brass?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Brass black. Birchwood Casey is one source, avail. at sporting goods stores that sell firearms or sometimes Walmart.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
squandt

Post by squandt »

If you can not find it near you try Brownells.com this is the largest supplyer gunsmith supply,they have all kinds of stuff to color metal.
stay on the shine side of the rail
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

BTW, to get good results with the brass black, your parts have to be beyond clean. Any slight contamination with oil or fingerprints or whatever will affect the result. Degrease with whatever you like, follow up with acetone and fresh paper towels, using rubber exam gloves to keep your skin oil off.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

I work with brass and bronze all of the time at the local railroad museum. Sure, the new fresh turned metal looks nice but the curator likes to see the patina of age on new parts. I now use sulfurized cutting oil during the final turning and finish work of the parts in bronze and brass. It is like magic how fast the darkening of the surface will happen. Starts to be visible in less than an hour and after a week or two, the part looks at least a year or two old. The metal art people use what is called Liver of Sulfur for the same effect and probably pay more for the same exact result.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thank you all for your advice!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

But that’s such a pretty little thing!!
Tim B Guenther

Post by Tim B Guenther »

If you can find the chemicals; "liver of sulphur" (potassium sulphide) in salt form mixed with water will produce a brown color. Dark black - 2 oz. liver of sulphur, 1/4 oz. aqua ammonia in 1 gallon of water. Bluish black - Barium sulphide in water. Reddish brown - copper sulphate and water. Antique green - 4 oz each of copper nitrate, calcium carbonate and ammonium chloride in 1 gallon of water. My old jewelry books recommend these solutions be used hot. I would suggest doing this out side as many of these chemicals are toxic. Take appropriate safety precautions.
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Tim B. - is the book you are refering to "The Complete Metal Smith" by Tim McCreight?
My high school jewelry teacher gave me that book as a graduation gift. Lots of great info in it.
I was about to thumb through it for the patina recipe until I saw your post.

Brook
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

If you do nothing....it will acquire a patina by itself in no time.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Machinery's Handbook offers methods for coloring metals, including brass and bronze.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Tim B Guenther

Post by Tim B Guenther »

BAdams wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:30 am Tim B. - is the book you are refering to "The Complete Metal Smith" by Tim McCreight?

Brook
The book I used for the recipes is "Metal Techniques for Craftsmen" by Oppi Untracht, c 1968 by Doubleday & Co., Inc.