Making a milling machine riser

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: Making a milling machine riser

Post by pete »

Yeah with those needs I guess I'd do it the way your planning RSG. If you do pull the ram with the head, motor attached error on the side of over kill for the job. Combined there's a whole lot more weight than it looks like. The ram will only come out so far on the pinion gear since the rack doesn't go the full distance on the rams length. My guess is that's a built in safety so you can't extend the ram beyond a safe distance. Run the ram out until it touches the end of the rack then move it back in just a bit. Then pull the pinions retaining bolt and slide the ram out the rest of the way.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks Pete! I did a dry fit yesterday and was able to get the column in by lifting the unit high enough (barely) I also forgot to turn the inside lip on the riser while at my friends shop the other day so I did it on my own lathe. It worked well but it showed my how limiting the size of my lathe was for something this big.

Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I note a opening in the base casting. Can you access the spider through there ? If so how about making some bolt extensions ?? Use a coupling nut and a piece of threaded rod to extend your current bolt. Pin or tack weld rod to coupling nut ,thread rod into spider lock there with a jam nut. Your current bolt will then use coupling nut to pull the spider up to lock the turret/ram .
www.chaski.com
RSG

Post by RSG »

That's an option John, I tapped four holes in the base of the block so I think I'm committed to that format. Good idea though.
RSG

Post by RSG »

The riser complete and installed! Very happy with the outcome.

pete

Post by pete »

From start to finish very nicely done RSG and the equal to a commercial product that may or may not have fit even close to as well. I can't recall ever seeing any home built version that didn't take the much easier way with a welded and machined riser.
spro

Post by spro »

WAY cool RSG!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Well done!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Very impressed with your ingenuity and super professional casting and pattern making skills. Well done!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Good job Mate.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nothing I didn't expect from one who has such incredible skill in making beautiful fishing reels.
Very well done!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

There was never a doubt that it would be anything less than perfect!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!