Looking for this horn!

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Looking for this horn!

Post by rkcarguy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Qm_ql9v8x8

I am in need of a horn with this tone for my Baldwin S-12 build, and don't want one that's all that loud....i.e. I'd prefer something electronic that I can adjust the volume. Any ideas?
Greg_Lewis

Re: Looking for this horn!

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Just a thought, but I'd check the HO guys for a sound system. You might check Soundtraxx. They have some that will replicate various horns.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I had a look at some and they seam awful small/quiet. Think I could connect the output to a stereo amplifier and use a larger speaker?
I love that lower tone, but there is nothing on the market to replicate it that is electric in the boat/car world.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

rkcarguy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:33 am I had a look at some and they seam awful small/quiet. Think I could connect the output to a stereo amplifier and use a larger speaker?
I love that lower tone, but there is nothing on the market to replicate it that is electric in the boat/car world.
Sure. All you are looking for is the chip. I'd think a low voltage amp that would run off your unit's power would be easy to find.

Google is your friend.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

After being in the Navy that sounds just like a ship's horn.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Is it an air horn? If so, for less volume, you can machine a simple little bushing to insert into the air intake fitting that reduces air pressure- just make a small hole (1/8”) in the center to provide low air pressure, and experiment with hole size to get the volume you want.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
RCW

Post by RCW »

Nice sound!
--Bob