100+ Years ago

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: 100+ Years ago

Post by SteveHGraham »

Very strange war. I can't imagine sitting in a trench, waiting for an idiot far away to tell me to jump out and run into machine gun fire.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

They did it in the millions . The Great War as it was called, is considered the birth of Canada as a nation.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I wonder how many millions of pounds (tons?) of spent shell casings were left on the battlefields of he world. Did anyone try to reclaim them after the war? or was it considered not worth the effort? It boggles the mind to think when a cargo ship was sunk with hundreds of tanks, jeeps, trucks, etc, going to the bottom of the sea. What a waste of material, off course not considering the loss of so many lives. I seem to recall a statistic from the Vietnam war that said for every 10,000 bullets that were fired, only one was a kill; not sure, but it may have been 100,000 per one kill.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I just watched a video,from either China or Japan, cannot tell which. The Guy had a big pile of defused artillery shells and was making kitchen knives from them. Very skilled and worked very fast.
spro

Post by spro »

There was a series on PBS of all things named UXB-- Unexploded bombs. It was great. We have our issues but many bombs fell in Europe which didn't explode but remained lethal.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It's still common for unexploded bombs to be found during construction or excavation work in European cities. whole neighborhoods get evacuated while they're either exploded in place, or moved to where they can be detonated safely.
They still come up in trawler fishing nets too.
In the news not long ago, someone found a ww2 lugar in the wall of an old Amsterdam house, with a box of ammo.

Most spent shells have been recycled.
spro

Post by spro »

I dig a Luger but it is somewhat like the Nazi anti aircraft helmets. Let someone else own them because i know what they did.
mikechoochoo

Post by mikechoochoo »

I read an article in a lumbering magazine about a sawmill in Switzerland. All of the logs go thru a metal detector. Some of them come from France and Germany, but even the Swiss logs may have shell fragments in them as bullets don't recognize borders.
Mike
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

After the WWII tons of material was left in place as they didn't think they would ever need it again. A friend that made a trip with his wife to the So. Pacific islands was shown a huge area where stacks of crates containing Jeeps were left standing to rot and rust in the jungle on one of the islands. I know for a fact that a lot of P38s on the assembly line in Burbank were scraped. The war ended when the Japanese surrendered and Uncle Sugar just made a whole lot of phone calls telling contractors to stop all production. Like hitting a light switch to turn the lights out. Some of it was salvaged but the majority was scraped or just left in place where it was. There is local lore that Lockheed bull dosed unfinished P38s into a abandoned gravel pin adjacent to the runway off of Clyburn St. The pit which is saw in the early 40s is filled and there are buildings on the area now.
Cary
spro

Post by spro »

Good information, guys.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

In the Peace country, there legend about one of the farmers getting an Alaska Highway D-6 with a 3 ton truck.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers